Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Show naming issues and multi-file episodes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's the only way a single episode would even appear in XBMC.
Explorer view:
Address F:\TV Shows\Babylon 5\s01e01

and in the folder:
Babylon.5.S01E01.Midnight.On.The.Firing.Line.IFO
Babylon.5.S01E01.Midnight.On.The.Firing.Line.1.VOB
Babylon.5.S01E01.Midnight.On.The.Firing.Line.2.VOB
Babylon.5.S01E01.Midnight.On.The.Firing.Line_0.IFO

When in XBMC the episode is 2 videos. What am I doing wrong?
Isn't XBMC reading the first .IFO file first and doesn't that describe the two .VOB's as a single episode? Or am I just gonna have to make one .VOB file each for all 110 episodes?
I presume your files are actually:

F:\TV Shows\Babylon 5\s01e01\VIDEO_TS.IFO

and you renamed them as in your post to try and get them to show up in XBMC?

I suggest an alternative would be removing the restriction on the regexps (via advancedsettings.xml) so that it will match your structure and save you renaming everything.

I'm sure someone will pop in with an appropriate regexp shortly...
I'm sorry to nudge on this one, again, but WHY do people use these opened-up DVD structures (.ifo & vob) when they are suppose to in a .iso container: no problems with ANYTHING (reburn, naming, scraping, conversion, appectRatiop, subs pointing)..

I have all my media files (TV -series, movies, BlueRays) in .iso containers and everything just... work : automatic scraping for example.. so why make your life harder than it is?

edit: I do not transcode anymore anything into different codec I just use raw dumps as they are ment. BlueRays also. DVdFab is commercial app and I bought it.
Okay, realjobe, give. What's the best .iso 'maker' and don't leave out your advice on properties, frame rates, and such. I'm gonna be new to .iso's and I'm still not sure I've gotten all the properties, formats and settings of any of my software I have now...or hardware for that matter.

By the way ...love the forum, when I get back to work I'll see about donating. Haven't worked since March of '08 and I still don't see the uphill yet.
Not to be a pain, but why bother with ISO? You can put the individual chapters into an MKV using free tools and have them separate. This means that the shows get marked as watched correctly, etc.

So let's be fair to him. The difference between using using VIDEO_TS structures and ISOs is like the 10% solution making fun of the 3% solution. From my experience both are somewhat rarely used compared to single-episode containers (mkv, mp4, avi, etc.). You do not have to lose any quality moving these episodes to individual show files.

I use MakeMKV to rip episodes from discs, ISOs or structures, which works perfectly. There are a number of other tools out there that work equally well. I happen to transcode mine using an automated script after that, using H.264, but obviously that is optional.
"Transcode"? Ahh, now there's a word I'll have to copy and paste into a search for learning materials. Please some details on "transcode using an automated script after that, using H.264". I've just started reading about 'H.264'
Thank you GJones the .mkv container worked, .iso's were too slow unpacking(at least on my machines'). MakeMKV did the trick, still not used to how it names them but I'll keep at that. XBMC seems made for .mkv files, they worked on all three(Mainframe, HTPC, and Laptop). I'm hoping to add a media server someday. Well, until next time thank you all and especially to the XBMC Team. XBMC has saved my sanity. When there's nothing on 900 cable channels I now have a media device that almost instantly lets me watch favorites that I like to watch again and again...even as background ambience.