Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: run xbmc in background?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running xbmc on my ubuntu 11.10. Streaming to the 360 and works great. My question is, I use this pc for other things and it appears xbmc has to run all the time. Can this be hidden or run as a service like on windows media center? I don't want to open the program. I want it to start on bootup and run in the background or service. What are my options?
wow, no one?
There's been some interest in making a version of XBMC without a GUI to act as a server, but nothing pre-compiled or really tested. If you just need something to feed your xbox360 then you should probably run some other UPnP server, as the one in XBMC is very basic. Plus, the other options run much nicer in the background, too.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=UPn...diaServers
is there one you recommend? Do they run on linux and windows?
i've been trying to find out if it's possible to do the same and the stock response everywhere seems to be "why would you want to do that, use another upnp server" well one very good reason why anyone would want to that is that xbmc is about the only piece of software available for linux that can stream to samsung devices, and also seems to be the only thing capable of upnp or dnla streaming that has a decent GUI and isn't horrible to install and configure.
the UPnP server for XBMC may well be basic but it works, which is more than can be said for any other UPnP client software i've tried to use. even a skin that can be minimised would be fantastic.
keep up the good work, xbmc is a fantastic bit of software.
same here. I used tversity before and it sucks. I want to stream video to my 360 without the need of a live account and xbmc seems to work. I just need it to fire up on boot up and in the background so I can still use my pc.
i stream to my original softmodded xbox (running xbmc4xbox) with sambashare which works just like sharing did on windows XP, you can just right click on a folder and configure sharing and the xbox can see all the shared folders, had that working on ubuntu, linux mint 11 and now on mint 12 KDE edition, will that not also work on the 360 or does it have to be upnp?
only want upnp sharing to stream our music collection to my girlfriends samsung mobile plugged into the upstairs hifi. sounds well decadent i know but it's all second hand or free hardware apart from the phone. i just get a kick from making old stuff do cool things.
You might try to compile this:
542 (PR)

mad-max
Just wondering if there was an update to this thread.
I too wish to run XBMC in the background. Though not necessarily as a headless server.
It isn't possible to switch workspaces while XBMC is running so you're just stuck in XBMC.

Edit. OK you have to switch to Window mode via "\" key and then you should be able to switch desktop workspaces.