Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video Corruption Issue / ATI / Ubuntu / Unity [Workaround included]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've had an issue where playing video that switches the refresh rate (i.e. from default of 60Hz to 50Hz (i.e. US vs UK/Aus TV), though it happens the other way too) the video playback is corrupted, i.e. all "smeared", except for the left 10-15% of the screen.

Environment details:
  • Ubuntu 11.10 / Unity
  • AMD Radeon 4600
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
  • XBMC Eden Beta 3

Stopping playback and returning to the XBMC UI and the UI remaining corrupted in the same way, playing any video continues to be corrupted / distorted. Going back to "window mode" seems to clean it up (and return to 60Hz).

I found a work around and that's to install the classic Gnome desktop, and login using that, and everything seems fine.

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

I suspect it's related to Unity using the 3D acceleration of the card, and switching refresh rate screws it up in some way.

Not sure if this is a driver, unity or xbmc issue. I suppose if it happens on an Nvidia card it might narrow the issue down - though I don't have one to try.

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else having the problem. It'd be nice to get it fixed as it's took quite a while to figure a pattern and workaround.
Ok. I spoke too soon. Sad

After watching an ABC iView program, and returning to the UI (i.e. going from 50 to 60Hz), then display is corrupted:

its compiz and xbmc is very well known not to work with it, specially on AMD and Intel Gfx.
Thanks. I'll try that.

It looks like logging on with the "Classic Gnome (no effects)" profile will skip compiz.

I've given it a quick go, and seems ok so far. Will see how it lasts.

Was getting tempted to go buy an Nvidia card.