Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCubuntu - Horrific samba performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I installed XBMCubuntu on a machine alongside Windows7. While running Windows 7, the machine happily plays nice with my unRAID server and mac machines. The only issue is Win 7 does annoying things like minimizing xbmc, installing updates, rebooting randomly, etc...

Anyway, so I installed XBMCubuntu but the samba performance is horrid. It takes ages to navigate my unraid directory structure (which is pretty flat) and add a source. Once I finally added the sources, I tried playing a DVD rip and it buffered constantly and then just gave up.

Anyone else having these problems?

I would prefer to stick with samba as I used a mixed network environment and that works for all three OSs...
I had this same issue (it actually began happening when I was running XBMC Live, and got so bad I went to reboot and it no longer wanted to boot into XBMC - just kept giving me a login prompt), so I installed XBMCubuntu and I initially had a bit of trouble getting samba to work at all (turns out I had to manually install it), but once installed, even just trying to open an smb share took a long time (even just trying to back out of an smb share), and videos were still constantly buffering. I ended up going back to XBMC Live. I'm really hoping a solution comes along before I get too setup in this new XBMC Live install, as I liked a lot of the new features of XBMCubuntu.
FWIW, I was running the beta3.
DaMizZa Wrote:I had this same issue (it actually began happening when I was running XBMC Live, and got so bad I went to reboot and it no longer wanted to boot into XBMC - just kept giving me a login prompt), so I installed XBMCubuntu and I initially had a bit of trouble getting samba to work at all (turns out I had to manually install it), but once installed, even just trying to open an smb share took a long time (even just trying to back out of an smb share), and videos were still constantly buffering. I ended up going back to XBMC Live. I'm really hoping a solution comes along before I get too setup in this new XBMC Live install, as I liked a lot of the new features of XBMCubuntu.
FWIW, I was running the beta3.

Yeah, me too - beta 3. I may try updating samba in the system and see if that works.

Getting this up and running is gonna be some work. I still need to figure out the whole remote control thing...

On a side note, they need to include a text editor in their distribution (gedit would work).