Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tearning and Buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Friends,

Till about two weeks ago i had ubuntu 10.4 (32bits) + xbmc dharma when I ran the update manager and i lost my sound. Thought a good reason to move to ubuntu 11.10 and xbmc eden.

A very wrong decision. Niether worked and keep getting error " XBMC needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering. Install an appropriate driver" even with installing latest ATI/AMD Catalyst." XBMC won't start.

Went through process of installing and reinstalling 11.10-11.4 both 32 and 64 bits with xbmc dharma and eden .. nothing worked and finally i went back to ubuntu 10.4 (32 bits)
+ xbmc dharma with latest Catalyst

Having this really annoying buffering issue and video tearing

ubuntu was not showing the full RAM of 8 GB so installed generic pae which again started showing me the message " XBMC needs hardware accelerated opengl rendering. Install an appropriate driver". It won't start xbmc.

Reinstalled ubuntu 10.4 (64 bits) + xbmc dharma but the buffering issue is there. Its hardly 10 seconds before it starts to buffer. My Zacate E-350 is connected by wire and i have about 12 Mbps speed which i believe is sufficient to stream.

I'm going nuts.. Its my recent experience with linux and am cursing myself since then. Theres always some update which screws something somewhere. Always have to find a way to rollback or wipe off disk and reinstall the ubuntu. Angry

Can anybody tell me a way to solve this buffering problem and also the video tearing. Angry

Thanks
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply and the link. Will go through it and install on weekends .. the only time i get !!

Its good learning too. Thanks a lot.
I had the same exact issues with tearing and low framerates. On my A4 3400 system the xvba branch fixed it. Xubuntu 11.10 worked best for me on ati 11.11. In Xubuntu Hdmi audio requires pulse audio volume control installation to disable optical and enable hdmi in some cases. That thread is well worth a try.
Hi,

I installed xbmc as per the instructions but still having problem as below:

1) As usual lot of bufferring.
2) Froze after not moving anywhere with the bufferring
3) Had to restart system but then as soon as xbmc opens there are black vertical lines going across the screen.

Below are my settings

Catalyst 12.1
-Use graphics processor for scaling ( if i use display for scaling then xbmc opens in window mode and flickers and freezes on pressing "\" key to maximize.
-anti aliasing at 4x
-anti aliasing mode at mid level ( adaptive multi-sample aa)
-antisotropic filtering checked for overdire app setting and is at 2x level
-mipmap detail at performance level
-more settings - vertical refresh at off unless specifies( if i move one level further to - on unless app specifies xbmc flickeds and freezes)
same with Catalyst AI enabled but if at advanced level.

Below is the link to the crash report. Hope it helps.

http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=780628