Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: From Windows 7 to LINUX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new to XBMC & LINUX.

I have XBMC Beta 3 on Windows 7 but would like to set up the UBUNTU version in the future on another machine.

Meanwhile I would like to have a look at XBMCUBUNTU.

Is it possible to have this run on my Windows PC? I see the Live version is the recommended way but not sure if this can be run on a dual OS.

Any newbie info would help as I have never used LINUX before.

Thanks

Alan
Hi again

Just to add I have read as much a I can and tried burning the ISO disk (3 new CDs) but none will Boot. I do have it set to CD Boot first.

Problem is I am not sure if I am doing the right thing with the install. I am following the instructions but can't seem to make any progress.

Thanks

Alan
try burning at the lowest possible speed and verify disk. What program are you using to burn the disk? The default windows burning program should work, but you could also try ImgBurn.
Try booting from USB.
Unetbootin for example.
Thanks guys for the response, I used Windows Image Burner and ISORecorder.

Would it help if I used a DVD instead?

Will try again and try Unetbootin also.

Cheers

Alan
Thanks guys

Finally resolved it by re-downloading the xbmc iso burned and worked.

XBMC looks good and here I am using Chrome from the desktop.

Next challenge to look at further install options e.g. boot from USB or dual boot with windows.

Have to say as my very first Ubuntu session even running from CD its pretty quick so food for thought. I am hoping to be among the first Raspberry Pi users so wanting to see what might be involved

Any tips for the above and Linux newbie appreciated.

Cheers

Alan
Dual booting is a bit more complicated, but possible, using OpenElec. But installation is a breeze (just follow instrutions) and it's even faster then Xbmcubuntu.
I'd advise on installing from USB. As mentioned before Unetbootin makes it easy to create a bootable Xbmcubuntu USB stick. For OpenElec Unetbootin is not needed since it provides a way to write to USB without external tools. Just read te guides on the OpenElec site.
Well that was the night that was and perhaps a warning to other Win users trying xbmcbuntu.

As I said above I managed phase 1 installing iso to CD and running LIVE! from there. All worked fine and perhaps should have left it there except i am never happy unless close to screwing up my system (always late at night!)

I was trying to follow the wiki install notes and install to USB thumb drive which are probably in need of change now following the emphasis shift to Beta 3 and moving forward. First it took me a while to realize that I needed to press enter when the 2 icons appeared at bottom of screen, then I could not understand how to adjust partition size as it said that 2.1gb was the smallest allowable. I managed to move forward except that my 16gb drive now seemed to show 4gb. The on screen instructions lead me to believe that I could install alongside Win 7, which it did!

Moving on I booted from the drive but there was no Windows option and what's more removing the USB and rebooting caused a Grub Error (panic time?) I could neither boot from HD or CD.

I managed to get the Win option to appear after going in to the bunto menu to look for other files. OK so I went to bed at least knowing I could use Windows again (relief!)

However I was still unable to use the CD drive to boot as I was trying to repair the W7 MBR, I manged this by pressing F8 on boot and then from Win install DVD went into Repair>Command Prompt and entered bootrec \FixMBR which it did in an instant.

So I am back where I started and not sure what xbmcbuntu there is other than on my CD as it looks like nothing on the USB drive.

My original intention was just to get an overview of Linux and guess I have got that! I am intending to get a Rasperry Pi (on the list).

Any comments on the above appreciated and anybody need a shoulder to cry on give me nudge.

Cheers

Alan
Bram77 Wrote:Dual booting is a bit more complicated, but possible, using OpenElec. But installation is a breeze (just follow instrutions) and it's even faster then Xbmcubuntu.
I'd advise on installing from USB. As mentioned before Unetbootin makes it easy to create a bootable Xbmcubuntu USB stick. For OpenElec Unetbootin is not needed since it provides a way to write to USB without external tools. Just read te guides on the OpenElec site.

Thanks Bram should have read this before the above episode!
Following my initial attempts above I have now moved forward a little.

I have now loaded XBMCbuntu Eden Beta3 (from the XBMCLive CD) dual boot with Win 7.

I have now got Windows (default) & XBMCBuntu on Boot.

I have spent some time watching a few 'intro to Linux' videos and have a better feel for what I am doing.

The main problems I have encountered are:

1. No sound from XBMC. I have read some of the threads but started to get confusedHuh and sometimes freezes playing a video. Q. Is there a Ctrl-Alt-Del equivalent?

2. Accessing my Media DB on XBMC from a Windows drive, seems to be hit & miss. I have set Windows on the same PC as Workgroup and shared and also on another PC, but sometimes XBMCBuntu sees them other times not. I have tried installing SAMBA but does not help and I am not sure it has installed correctly. I also got a message to load Samba4 but that fails install with an error.

3 A minor issue is XBMC is no longer the start up screen even if I exit from XBMC and restart.

I would also like to know if there is a difference between XBMCBuntu & Ubuntu installed separately and then install XBMC. From what I have read Ubuntu loads some other apps like OpenOffice but not sure if other parts of the OS are missing from XBMCBuntu.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Alan
Apologies if this becoming self indulgent but may help me and hopefully others in the future.

My research and playing has found the following

1. This Ctrl-alt-del equivalent works Alt-PrtSc (held together) plus R+E+I+S+U+B you have to keep each held for maybe a second or two.

2. I installed SAMBA which shows my attached Win7 drives but although it seems to start on Boot of Buntu it does not seem to start in XBMC unless I go back to desktop and restart SAMBA. I need to explore a bit more.

3. As long as I shut down from XBMC it starts up back to XBMC but does not retain the setting from shutdown from Buntu.

4. Still no success with sound.

Alan
I wonder if anyone could help with some of the problems I am having.

I have a dual boot Win7 with XBMCBuntu (Eden).

My Win7 XBMC is fine.

On XBMCBuntu I have the following problems.

1. There is no sound, Failed to Initialize Audio settings. A couple of times I have made it work by going back to the desktop and getting sound in Chrome and then back to XBMC but this is not consistent.

2. I am able to share media Workgroup between Win7/XBMCBuntu with SAMBA. However this does not work unless I drop into the Desktop>FileManager and click on the Shared Folder. Back to XBMC and files show.

3. I am viewing all this on 2 Desktop Monitors. In Win7 these are set as 2 separate but in XBMCBuntu I can not access the settings. In the Preferences Menu there are 2 choices AMD Control Centre & AMD Control Centre (Administrator) and it says to use the Display Manager setting I must use the latter but the latter does not start.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan