Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu, but with the Gnome 3 shell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I absolutely love XBMCbuntu, however I would love to use the Gnome 3 shell instead of the standard Unity shell:

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

It is absolutely beautiful. However, I've tried to install it using some guides on the internet (I'm quite new to using linux), but with no succes, it looks like I've installed an older version, and it also installs a lot of extra games and apps. Does anyone know how to cleanly install this shell on top of the latest XBMCbuntu?
You need to find the right package. the -desktop package typically contain the full standard ubtunu desktop including applications.
I do not have the solution for gnome 3 this very moment but for gnome 2 it used to be gnome-core but for some reason they screwed that up in 11.10 and you have to use gnome-session-fallback --no-install-recommends.
If you are only after the basic look and menus you could keep lxde and just add the gnome-panel.
What package did you install?
The gnome-shell looks pretty clean to me.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnome-shell

EDIT:Scratch that
Thanks but as I said I'm not interested in the older version.

Anyone else know how to install Gnome 3?
gnome-shell is gnome 3....but never mind
Allright, weird it looked so horrible out of the box, not at all like on the website in my first post
So, I just do a total reinstall of XBMCBuntu to be sure, run apt-get install gnome-shell and it's awesome like on the website http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/...?
Is there anyone with XBMCBuntu that installed Gnome 3 and could help me a bit? Smile
There is nothing more to it, or you have to make your question more specific. You want it to look like the poster? That is not a question for the xbmc forum.
Hm, maybe I spoke too early. You mean why you do not get the unity like fold-out instead of normal menus? I didn't notice that earlier....I like the normal menus. I guess it must be a missing package, but I cannot find it right now. Very strange....
Why would you want to add the Gnome shell to a distro designed to work as a stand-alone media center?? Just install Ubuntu as normal, add Gnome 3 to that (there are roughly a billion guides online) and then install XBMC like normal from the PPA.

XBMCBuntu was built to replace XBMC Live; they added basic shell support and the updated Ubuntu version for better hardware support, easier config changes, etc. It's not really designed to act as a stand alone desktop....I mean sure, you could use it like that, but why?
Quote:but why?

Why would anyone want the lxd many install when they can just use the openbox standard? and why would anyone want openbox when they can use cli....
How about installing mint lisa, change the theme, and install XBMC over top?
I have investigated a bit further and it does not look very easy. Probably needs compiz installed and composite enabled and a lot of stuff like that. Probably not a good idea on xbmc. I would like to know how it is working though...want to know how to remove the crap from ubtunu 11.10. I use gnome2 now to get normal menus.

EDIT: Turns out that it does not work on that box even if I install standard desktop 11.10. It is for sure related to graphical capabilities/config. Problem is that I do not know how to check status. There is no longer a setting for desktop effects that I can find.
Yes, I was partly right. If you have a working gnome-shell dash and disable composite and reboot the dash is gone and you have normal menus. Nice.

Why there is no settings to select menu type or tell you why you get no dash I have no clue but I guess they have released something unfinished, true to form.
You can install the compizconfig settings manager but it crashes when trying to disable composite on the fly (known bug).
Pages: 1 2