Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Program to rename files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a ton of video files about 900 movies not including tv episodes and other video files and so going to rename them one by one is a last resort option.

I was wondering if there is a program I can use to rename the files or at least scan them and tell me which ones I need to rename in bulk.

Please help. Thank you.
Take a look at media center master and see if it will do what you are looking for. It will rename, move to a folder with the same name, download fanart, and create the .nfo files for XBMC.
theRenamer without a doubt is your ticket to easy TV/Movie renames.
How are they currently named?
I've used many programs and there is only one I truly like.

http://filebot.sourceforge.net/
I'm just finishing up a massive rename/reorg myself. I used theRenamer for a lot of it, but there were still some issues that I couldn't fix with theRenamer and for those I fell back on the Bulk Rename Utility which I have been using for years. Both are Windows tools, which is why I decided to get my library in order before I switch to Linux.

Just as an example of where I needed to use BRU: for some tv shows the episode numbers were based on the files I had, regardless of whether or not they represented multiple episodes, ie mine were numbered 1-20 but theTVdb expected 1-26. I just opened the folder in BRU and was able to select the files between the two combo episodes and then remove the episode numbers and insert new ones starting at the higher increment, all in one go and in less time than it's taken me to describe it here.

I also found a lot of instances where theRenamer wasn't successful scraping names with "Episode x" strings but really wanted sxxexx strings. That was also really easy to fix with BRU. I will say that I got into the habit of looking up a show on theTVdb before I tried loading it into theRenamer, so that I could see what was expected and if anything needed to be fixed first. OTOH, theRenamer is brilliant at parsing scene downloads, scraping off all the junk, reformatting, adding episode titles, and moving it all.
I have to second TheDream and also give filebot my recommendation. I tried theRenamer and had issues getting it to recognize some of my content that filebot handled no problem.

I will say that at a quick glance it seems like theRenamer has some other cool features that filebot doesn't. I would suggest getting them both and playing around with each to see which you like better.