Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBMCbuntu] Can't install to SD Card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys.
So I finally bit the bullet and decided to try Eden. Now as I have 3 other members of the family who get upset when I change things I wanted to leave my existing installation of Dharma alone. So I thought I would install Eden on a SD card to run on my Acer Revo. That way I can tinker and play with everything and when its all sweet just change the boot order.
I downloaded the XBMCbuntu Beta 3 iso and have created a usb stick with Lili. No problems so far. The disk boots, I get the try or install screen and I can run XBMC from the try screen.
When I first chose install I got the You need 3.7g Connected to the internet etc and they both had green lights.
Then it bought up the list of options, (from memory said things like install over dharma, next to dharma or something else) so I chose something else.
Then I was able to choose the sd card as the target and boot grub target.
It then said that I had no root file system and had to change that in partition manager. So I set two partitions (ext4 and swap) then clicked install.
I then chose my area then language and keyboard and then I get an error that the partition can not be created.
I tried again. and again.
So I then used fdisk to make the partitions and mkfs.ext to set the filesystem and tried again with the same result.
I have also tried the delete and install option and still get the error writing the ext 4 partition.
I don't want to try and create a new partition and install it to the HDD, mostly out of fear of wiping my install and data.
If anyone has any suggestions on what to do differently to get it to install on a SD card I would be most appreciative.
So what am I doing wrong? I have tried 2 different sd cards to no avail.
If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.
I'd recommend a USB thumbdrive over an SD card. Performance, both read and write, is better, and the medium is simply more robust. I've installed XBMCBuntu, and previously XBMCLive, this way in the past.
Yeah just trying that now.
Hopefully works.
Hello again,
I finally got an install to work (after countless attempts and dramas)
So I now have XBMCbuntu installed on a 16gb USB stick.
I have been trying to play with it and have a few issues.
First is the speed, or lack there of. Basically it is incredibly slow and unresponsive. Like over a minute to the first splash screen on boot up then at least 3 minutes to start up.
Is this a known bug or is there something I need to look at.
It was even slow in Putty when I tried to install Samba for my shares.
The aim of this install was to get it all set up on the USB stick and configured with all my little tweaks (Samba, Dual Audio, Skifta, Transmission etc) before changing over from the existing install (Dharma) on the HDD. But if it is going to be this slow I may as well just wipe the HDD and start from scratch!
Hardware is a Revo 3610.
Any hints would be fantastic.
Also just noticed a small oddity. In my Dharma set up I have asound.conf set to out put to HDMI and analog simultaneously to feed my out door speakers.
Some how the settings and it appears the config files have carried across to the USB install somehow? As sound is working on my deck and I haven't touched anything yet.
Any ideas?
On a related note, what's the username and password to the XBMCbuntu live disk? The wiki says it's xbmc, but that doesn't happen to be the case for Eden Beta 3 ISO.
xbmc / "no password / *blank"