Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux]No sound in interface?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've recently upgraded to the newest unstable (I had beta 1 previously), but now I don't have sound in the interface? I'm using Ubuntu 11.10

The only way I can get sound now is through custom plughw:1,3 on both audio and passthrough.

aplay -l:
Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC889A Analog [ALC889A Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC889A Digital [ALC889A Digital]
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

alsa.conf:
Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:1,3"
}
}

guisettings.xml
Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>custom</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>1</channellayout>
        <customdevice>plughw:1,3</customdevice>
        <custompassthrough>plughw:1,3</custompassthrough>
        <dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
        <mode>1</mode>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>custom</passthroughdevice>
        <passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
        <passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
        <passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
    </audiooutput>

xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/XA1cRnJz

I've had the same settings in the previous beta and everything worked. Not sure why it's happening now? It works just fine on Music/Video so it's not really a big deal, but a bit annoying.

Any ideas?
Provided your asound.conf works at the OS level, the correct settings for audio are:
Default (ALSA) -> no custom setting
hdmi:NVidia_1 for passthrough -> custom setting

In order to get navigation sounds install libsdl1.2debian-alsa. In case you get a "device busy" error when trying to play passthrough sound, disable navigation sounds. This problem is going to be fixed.
FernetMenta Wrote:Provided your asound.conf works at the OS level, the correct settings for audio are:
Default (ALSA) -> no custom setting
hdmi:NVidia_1 for passthrough -> custom setting

In order to get navigation sounds install libsdl1.2debian-alsa. In case you get a "device busy" error when trying to play passthrough sound, disable navigation sounds. This problem is going to be fixed.

Yes, the sound works on the OS level, I can test it, and everything seems fine.

I'll try changing the sound options again, but I feel like I've exhausted all options (I seem to have a lot of options in the menu). Also I already have libsdl1.2debian-alsa installed...
Allrighty, I tried your settings. Same thing, playback works just fine, I just don't get any sound in the interface...

I wish I knew what was fcked up. Maybe I'll just wait for the final release and then I'll reinstall the whole system from scratch...
What do you mean with "sound in interface"? Navigation sounds? If this is the case, could you try with skin confluence?
FernetMenta Wrote:What do you mean with "sound in interface"? Navigation sounds? If this is the case, could you try with skin confluence?

Sorry, yes, I meant navigation sounds. And I've tried on other skins, including confluence, and I'm still not getting anything.
JayZeus Wrote:Hello,
The only way I can get sound now is through custom plughw:1,3 on both audio and passthrough.

My problem is reversed. I have 100% working sounds with videos and music by using HDMI, HDMI in the XBMC settings. But no navigation sounds.
If I apply any of the many instructions to create an .asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf) I get the navigation sounds but everything else breaks. After setting the .asoundrc I have tried all different settings in XBMC side (including the custom ones).

My problem could be related to the fact that I installed fluxbox to get firefox launched from the interface. My installation is manual, not the xbmcbuntu.
dimangi Wrote:My problem is reversed. I have 100% working sounds with videos and music by using HDMI, HDMI in the XBMC settings. But no navigation sounds.
If I apply any of the many instructions to create an .asoundrc (or /etc/asound.conf) I get the navigation sounds but everything else breaks. After setting the .asoundrc I have tried all different settings in XBMC side (including the custom ones).

My problem could be related to the fact that I installed fluxbox to get firefox launched from the interface. My installation is manual, not the xbmcbuntu.

Actually, I also have a custom Linux box with ubuntu 11.10 on it. It's a minimal, just enough needed for the xbmc install. I've changed my audio/passthrough settings to what the other guy suggested, but I still have the same problem. Audio works fine in video/mp3 but I don't get any navigation sounds.

I still can't figure out this problem, although Eden is coming, and I'll do a clean install anyway, I'd like to know what's going on in my system Tongue
XBMC's navigation sounds use OS default audio device. So if you have sound in other applications (same user as running xbmc) you should also have nav sounds in xbmc. Requirement is that it has been compiled with SDL support and libSDL-1.2* is present on your system.

JayZeus: you log shows: 22:54:43 T:140292593244032 ERROR: Unable to open audio mixer

What is your default sound architecture(check gstreamer-properties)? alsa or pulseaudio? Have you installed the corresponding libSDL-1.2debian-alsa or libSDL-1.2debian-pulseaudio?
I've noticed that, but I wasn't sure what is causing that. I'll check the properties, but I've got libSDL-1.2debian-alsa installed. Maybe it's pulseaudio, although I don't remember installing it... Sad

I'll check again, and report back Smile
(2012-03-13, 11:04)JayZeus Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it's pulseaudio, although I don't remember installing it... Sad

If you don't remember UNinstalling it, PA is on your system. It's default in Ubuntu.
Well, I've got alsa installed on my system, and I do have that package installed as well. I tried switching to the pulse audio package, but it didn't seem to help.
Here are the steps what I do. This has worked on all of my systems regardless if they are nvidia, amd, via. Note that I do not judge pulse audio but since I don't have much experience with PA I completely remove it from my systems.

- sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio*
- run aplay -l
sometimes the desired device shows up more than once, in this case you need a probemask for snd-hda-intel. In your case the output looks ok. Your digital device which can be muted and used for pass through is hdmi:NVidia_1
- run alsamixer and make sure the device is unmuted
- test if you get sound with aplay -Dplug:hdmi:NVidia_1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
- I have a very simple asond.conf
pcm.!default plug:hdmi:NVidia_1
- run gstreamer-properties (I do this for xbmc user and root) and set sound to ALSA and default devive, test if you have sound
- in XBMC use spin control to set audio device to Defaults (ALSA)
- set pass through to custom device: hdmi:NVidia_1
- check system -> appearance for nav sounds to be enabled. This is a skin setting. If you don't get sounds for alaska, check with confluence.

Please post debug log again.
I had the same problem after opening the new xbmc audiomixer application on my asrock ION 330.
All my sound settings where messed up and xbmc even crashed on playback.
So after some googleing i found what i needed to do.

So this is what worked for me

aplay -l
Code:
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1

Test to see if this is realy my hdmi port
Code:
aplay -D plughw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

change my .asoundrc (in the home folder)
Code:
nano .asoundrc

content of the .asoundrc file
Code:
cm.!default "plughw:0,3"

Test to see if it works
Code:
aplay -D default /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Now i got the navigation sounds back.