Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No SMB share after update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I've been runnung the 'old' XBMC version Dharma for a long time without problems. The media files are stored on a NAS (Conceptronics CH3SNAS) . Yesterday I decided to update to XBMC version 11.0-RC1. Unfortunately
now I'm in trouble cause XBMC cannot find my SMB-share anymore.

I tested the share with a mobile phone app and it worked fine.
Then I edited the XBMC sources.xml with the correct values and got an
"Operation timed out" error.
Log file

Any suggestion to solve it?

Cheers,
derdude
Try to use the ip instead of the netbios name.

Und niemals bist du der dude. Es gibt nur einen dude! Wink
Now I tried to set the IP address instead in sources.xml.
In XBMC I choose the share and the dialog "Einstellungen sperren" appears
and forced me to set user and password (which were already set in the sourcel.xml). After set user/pwd I clicked 'ok' and the same dialog appears again Confused .
Very strange....

Could someome send me an example of sources.xml?

@Memphiz: Du hast mich ertappt. Aber "White Russian" trinke ich auch ganz gern. Laugh

Cheers,
derdude
Show me yours, i'll show you mine Tongue
Just kidding, it should look like
Code:
<video>
  <source>
    <name>something</name>
        <path pathversion="1">smb://user:[email protected]/folder/</path>
  </source>
</video>
My settings look similar. Cause xbmc cannot See my share in the GUI, there might be another issue when running xbmc with my NAS. This eden-version drives me crazy. But I don't give up. Rolleyes

Cheers,
derdude
As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...
Memphiz Wrote:As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...

I also think, that's the key. But the strange thing is, that the share works with other devices.
The update from Dharma to Eden was made by NitoTV. Maybe a config-file was not updated or something like that.
I think I update again from command line. Will this update the hole xbmc or should I delete xbmc manually before an update/install?

Cheers,
derdude
Memphiz Wrote:As so often its all about good network and server configuration. Once this is garantied xbmc starts working like a champ...

Memphiz,

Do you have a guide or something on how to make a good (the best) network and server configuration for XBMC? Are there some tricks or tips?
I have a Synology NAS with SMB.

It works quite good but maybe it could be better sincei did not configure anything ;-)
provide a new log with enabled debug option this time...
jpcolin Wrote:Memphiz,

Do you have a guide or something on how to make a good (the best) network and server configuration for XBMC? Are there some tricks or tips?
I have a Synology NAS with SMB.

It works quite good but maybe it could be better sincei did not configure anything ;-)
I had the same issue when I upgraded my atv2 to beta versions of Eden. The problem still persists today and I'm at RC2. My windows 7 XBMC works like a champ on the same "open" shares. Open meaning they are not password protected. I found a workaround by adding my smb sources manually but I used to be able to browse them. The format used for the manual share: smb://server_name_here_not_IP Works well after initial setup.
notable17 Wrote:I had the same issue when I upgraded my atv2 to beta versions of Eden. The problem still persists today and I'm at RC2. My windows 7 XBMC works like a champ on the same "open" shares. Open meaning they are not password protected. I found a workaround by adding my smb sources manually but I used to be able to browse them. The format used for the manual share: smb://server_name_here_not_IP Works well after initial setup.

Unfortunately I cannot disable the password for SMB share in the NAS GUI. There always has to a user with password which can then use the share.

At the moment I use UPNP to make XBMC work before my wife kills me Big Grin. But besides that I'll keep on to find out the Share-problem.

@Memphiz: Tomorrow I'll send a debug-log. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
derdude
derdude Wrote:Unfortunately I cannot disable the password for SMB share in the NAS GUI. There always has to a user with password which can then use the share.

At the moment I use UPNP to make XBMC work before my wife kills me Big Grin. But besides that I'll keep on to find out the Share-problem.

@Memphiz: Tomorrow I'll send a debug-log. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,
derdude
You could try the following: smb://username : password@machinename/

omit the spaces around the colon. I had to add them in order to avoid turning the "p" and colon into an emoticon

I haven't tried it but it's worth a try.
notable17 Wrote:You could try the following: smb://username : password@machinename/

omit the spaces around the colon. I had to add them in order to avoid turning the "p" and colon into an emoticon

I haven't tried it but it's worth a try.

just fyi - you can turn off emoticons when posting - just check the checkbox "disable smilies in text" Wink
Yesterday night I searched for SMB share problems for my NAS. It seems to be, that - as notable17 mentioned, some programs cannot handle password protected SMB shares. I assume that this is also the case in XBMC (Eden).

Later I downgraded to Dharma and now the SMB share works fine again...

Could someone have a look at the SMB implementation of XBMC? Unfortunately I haven't made a debug log last night.
But if it it strongly needed, I could install Eden again and make a log file. But this may take a while (eventually next weekend).

Cheers,
derdude
Yeah its strongly needed. I'm using password protected samba shares without an issue. Samba server 3.xx is running on my nas and i configured the server on my own. (as more as i read of samba nas problems i don't trust any oft these manufacturers anymore...)

PS: looked at the smb implementation ... looks fine Wink
Pages: 1 2