Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-02-19, 06:19)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-19, 06:03)msfc Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any plan to add back support for bios, etc? I'm really missing them.

Probably not. The new Estuary layout leaves much less unclaimed space (remember that I have to leave space for the album art if the user brings that up).
The space is not that much smaller and is mostly due to the text and album art being larger. One possibility it to put the bio on the right. If you shorten the 3 text fields for artist, album and track title you can free some more vertical space for it. Personally I wouldn't be bothered if the artwork of the artist's other albums were not displayed. There is plenty of space for the bio without covering the art for the current album

Quote:I honestly wouldn't use a visualization and AS together. As you've found, it technically works, but I find it mostly looks like crap. I'm unable to duplicate the issue with the images blending with the background. I know you're doing a git sync to get my skin. That is neither recommended nor supported. I remember there was a problem at one point with the image blending, but I fixed it. The only thing I can figure is that your git sync didn't get everything correctly. I HIGHLY recommend you download the repo linked in the AS wiki and then use it to install my Estuary mod.
I could not find a link in the AS wiki for Estuary mods only for earlier skins. The link in 303946 (thread) has been broken. It currently points to https://github.com/pkscout/repository.sk...-1.1.0.zip which is for Helix. Also I have not found any full instructions for installing and using your Estuary skin mods.

Anyway a diff of my clone of your git repo with the content extracted from the zip file downloaded from https://github.com/pkscout/repository.sk...p?raw=true shows no differences. So the problem has nothing to do with the way I've installed the mods. BTW look at that link. It is in a branch called helix!!! You certainly aren't making it easy for people to find and install your mods.

The default Estuary background on the full-screen music display has black bars at top and bottom, graduating to a turquoiseish color covering the middle. I have both Use Visualization turned off in the interface preferences and visualization set to none. The default background can clearly be seen blended into the artist images. Since the visualization can be seen, when enabled, it is really not surprising that the static background can also be seen. I can't understand why you aren't seeing it. Perhaps you have a white background. The skin mod needs to disable blending of the artist images.

I would like the artist images to be displayed with replace blending (i.e. no blending). Then I can leave the visualization running so that something nice happens when no artwork is found and I don't have to disable the screen saver. Without visualization running the screensaver kicks in after a few minutes dimming the screen so you can no longer see the artist slideshow.

Quote:The images in the Kodi database are not accessible by addons, at least not as far as I have found. The only way the fanart in your music folders will be accessible is if you set Kodi to use local only OR local/remote images and point AS to your music folder. You also need to check the settings to tell AS to use the fanart.jpg if available. That will pollute your music folder with more images and folders, but if you're OK with that, that will do it.
Thanks for the explanation. I don't want to pollute my music folders so I'll just live with this problem.
(2017-02-19, 02:36)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]New BETA available

There's a new beta available in the beta repo that makes the featured artist splitting case insensitive.

@pkscout
Thanks, but the 2nd artists pictures shows only in the small box and not in the background (see screenshot).
If I use other layouts that doesn't have the small box on the left (like layout 3) the 2nd artists picture do not show in the background.

Image[/img]
(2017-02-20, 09:18)Dave.B Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, but the 2nd artists pictures shows only in the small box and not in the background (see screenshot).
If I use other layouts that doesn't have the small box on the left (like layout 3) the 2nd artists picture do not show in the background.

Can you check and see if that's true with the current production release? I didn't actually change the way featured artist images are merged, just the logic for the split condition, so I'm pretty sure that's a skin thing but want to confirm. AS merges the artist images into one folder with featured artists, so I have absolutely no idea how someone would split them back out.
(2017-02-19, 18:40)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]The first thing I'd check is that AS is actually installed (as I don't think that stuff migrates from the "standard" version to the Store version). Even if it is installed, you probably have to manually restore all your settings. The other option is to find the userdata folder of your old version and copy that stuff to your Store version. There are a few threads in the Windows forum about where the userdata is stored (if you haven't found it already).

Barring that, I'd need a debug log file.

Sorry, I think I did not explain well Big Grin
I actually did a fresh install after upgrading my computer, so I formated the drive, reinstalled a fresh windows, and then Kodi from the store. So no migration.
I checked, AS is installed in the addons.
I have sent you the log file. I hope it will help.
The only thing I have noted after a quick read is that it looks like the addon is trying to launch the script from the following location:
C:\Users\myUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py
But this folder does not exist with the UWP version.
(2017-02-20, 21:44)HediSIX Wrote: [ -> ]I have sent you the log file. I hope it will help.
The only thing I have noted after a quick read is that it looks like the addon is trying to launch the script from the following location:
C:\Users\myUsername\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.artistslideshow\default.py
But this folder does not exist with the UWP version.

Unfortunately the debug logging in AS wasn't on, so it wasn't overly helpful. If you go into AS settings and turn that debugging on as well that would help.

As for the UWP path thing, I don't know. What I do know is that there is a little non debug AS logging in the log file, so it is being run even if the log gives the wrong path. I wonder if the UWP version does some internal mapping of paths or something. I'm still running Windows 7 here, so there's no way for me to try with the UWP version. If there are other folks who can either try the UWP version or are using it, I'd love to have you post something.
(2017-02-20, 18:31)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-20, 09:18)Dave.B Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, but the 2nd artists pictures shows only in the small box and not in the background (see screenshot).

Can you check and see if that's true with the current production release? I didn't actually change the way featured artist images are merged, just the logic for the split condition, so I'm pretty sure that's a skin thing but want to confirm. AS merges the artist images into one folder with featured artists, so I have absolutely no idea how someone would split them back out.

OK problem solved when I changed to "slideshow + viewing" option. In "artists fanart + viewing" option the problem still exists.
Image[/img]
(2017-02-20, 23:33)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately the debug logging in AS wasn't on, so it wasn't overly helpful. If you go into AS settings and turn that debugging on as well that would help.

As for the UWP path thing, I don't know. What I do know is that there is a little non debug AS logging in the log file, so it is being run even if the log gives the wrong path. I wonder if the UWP version does some internal mapping of paths or something. I'm still running Windows 7 here, so there's no way for me to try with the UWP version. If there are other folks who can either try the UWP version or are using it, I'd love to have you post something.

Ok, I have sent you another one with the debug option for the addon activated Confused
(2017-02-21, 19:29)HediSIX Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-20, 23:33)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately the debug logging in AS wasn't on, so it wasn't overly helpful. If you go into AS settings and turn that debugging on as well that would help.

Ok, I have sent you another one with the debug option for the addon activated Confused

I'm seeing two odd things in the log:

1- I see where AS says it is starting to look for remote images, but then the very next line in the log says "no images found." I think they only time that will happen is if you turn off all the remote image sources (which you might have done on purpose, that's fine).

2- When it goes to find local images, I see it looking in Artistname/extrafanart. There's nothing else in the path. I think that would only happen if you enable local artwork in the settings but don't provide the root path to your images (i.e. E:\Kodi\artistimages\ or something like that).

I'd suggest you check you settings. Feel free to screen shot them and post them here if you'd like an assist.

In the meantime, I'm really curious about the file path information in the logs. Just about every log line (not just the AS ones) that references a folder path references the path the stand alone Kodi would use, not the path the Windows Store one uses. I'll post something in the development support area and see if anyone has any thoughts.
Thank you for your help. I will check the settings tomorrow but I don't think that I have changed anything from the standard.
Another thing that you may have noticed from the log : I use the Emby addon. Therefore, Kodi is not the one that will get the database information, it's the Emby server that manages this. Could it be related ?
(2017-02-23, 00:01)HediSIX Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for your help. I will check the settings tomorrow but I don't think that I have changed anything from the standard.
Another thing that you may have noticed from the log : I use the Emby addon. Therefore, Kodi is not the one that will get the database information, it's the Emby server that manages this. Could it be related ?

I don't know. I've never used Emby. That said, the log looked fine to me except for the problem of the incomplete path to the local artist folder. And that is set through settings, not the music database.
I have cheked the settings and tried to make it work without success.
Eventually, I reseted the addon, re-entered the original setting, and everything went back in order... I should have done that since the beginning Confused

Just a few questions additional questions:
- In the Xperience1080 skin, there is an option to animate the slideshow, I have been told that this is actually an addon functionality. If this is the case, is it possible to change the speed of the animation ?
- In the addon, there is an option to allow usage of images that are of lower size. While this is very useful for artists that do not have a lot of images or no hi-resolution images, This is not the best for well konw atists. Is it possible to limit this to artists that do not have a lot of images availables ?

Thank you for your help !
(2017-02-24, 13:33)HediSIX Wrote: [ -> ]- In the Xperience1080 skin, there is an option to animate the slideshow, I have been told that this is actually an addon functionality. If this is the case, is it possible to change the speed of the animation ?

AS does none of the animation or display work. The only thing that is recommended by AS is the length of time a specific image is shown, and even that can be set to whatever the skin author wants. The only drawback to using something other than the 10 second display interval is that while images are being downloaded you will get images that are displayed for inconsistent lengths of time.

Quote:- In the addon, there is an option to allow usage of images that are of lower size. While this is very useful for artists that do not have a lot of images or no hi-resolution images, This is not the best for well konw atists. Is it possible to limit this to artists that do not have a lot of images availables ?

Not easily. There's no way to know until you have the list how many images there are, so doing what you want would require getting a list from the image provider and then potentially getting *another* list a couple seconds later. AS has, from time to time, caused some significant bandwidth issues for these image hosting sites, so I tend to err on the side of making fewer requests. Given that, you're just going to have to decide which is more important to you: quality images or a large number of images.
OK, I will keep the setting allowing low-res images, I have too many artists that would not have any images otherwise.
So for the animation, I will ask the skin maker.
Thank you again for your help and for all your work Smile
(2017-02-20, 05:47)msfc Wrote: [ -> ]The default Estuary background on the full-screen music display has black bars at top and bottom, graduating to a turquoiseish color covering the middle. I have both Use Visualization turned off in the interface preferences and visualization set to none. The default background can clearly be seen blended into the artist images. Since the visualization can be seen, when enabled, it is really not surprising that the static background can also be seen. I can't understand why you aren't seeing it. Perhaps you have a white background. The skin mod needs to disable blending of the artist images.

I would like the artist images to be displayed with replace blending (i.e. no blending). Then I can leave the visualization running so that something nice happens when no artwork is found and I don't have to disable the screen saver. Without visualization running the screensaver kicks in after a few minutes dimming the screen so you can no longer see the artist slideshow.
Any suggestions for how I can get to the bottom of the blending issue? It has been a couple of weeks since I posted the above. I'm at the point where I am fed up looking at the ugly images and will disable AS if I can't fix this.