Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New Beta Available (3.0.1~beta10)
- updates to logic for waiting and checking for change in music
- updated service plugins to use https for API calls

These are all internal changes and not bug fixes.
I went ahead and installed the Leia Estuary mod, and indeed was able to set the slideshow to play at proper aspect ratio and start the instant I start playing music. One remaining issue is that the colors still look not good (too low contrast - washed out), even after setting the Background diffusion to None. Strangely, the looks don't change if I switch to diffusion of 100%. I checked, and the same photos show nicely when viewed as Pictures on Kodi.  Am I doing something wrong here?
(2019-12-30, 16:37)pulsar124 Wrote: [ -> ]I went ahead and installed the Leia Estuary mod, and indeed was able to set the slideshow to play at proper aspect ratio and start the instant I start playing music. One remaining issue is that the colors still look not good (too low contrast - washed out), even after setting the Background diffusion to None. Strangely, the looks don't change if I switch to diffusion of 100%. I checked, and the same photos show nicely when viewed as Pictures on Kodi.  Am I doing something wrong here?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  The diffusion setting only applies to background images in the various media pages (TV Shows, Movies, etc), not the artist images on the music visualization page.  The only thing I can think of is to make sure you don't have the time progress bar (or the album art) on the screen.  That does include an overlay to mute the colors a bit so that text is readable.  On a keyboard at least the 'i' key toggles that overlay on and off.  Maybe post a picture?

Here's an example of what mine looks like with the info screen up (note the artist bio is optional on this screen).

And here's one with that info screen gone:

I tried "i" button, and my images look the same (low contrast) with both progress bar on and off. The progress bar and text have proper contrast.
(2019-12-31, 15:05)pulsar124 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried "i" button, and my images look the same (low contrast) with both progress bar on and off. The progress bar and text have proper contrast.

OK, one last thing to try.  The Kodi interface is really designed for 1080p, not 4k, so if you have a 4k TV the recommendation is to set Kodi to 1080p and then let the TV scale it.  Otherwise Kodi will try and scale everything and not do a great job of it.  Go to Settings (the gear icon at the top of the screen on the main page) then System, then Display.  In the display option on that screen make sure it's set to 1920x1080.
Thanks, but in fact I wished I could set my Kodi to 4K. Unfortunately, it is only letting me use 1080p, so I cannot display 4K images. The low contrast must be caused by something else. Perhaps I can find something in the log files?

EDIT: I just redid the log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/ajezovesak.kodi  

One thing I can see right away is the cached images are downscaled to 1280x720. Is there a way to avoid caching (or at least downscaling)?
(2020-01-01, 17:25)pulsar124 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, but in fact I wished I could set my Kodi to 4K. Unfortunately, it is only letting me use 1080p, so I cannot display 4K images. The low contrast must be caused by something else. Perhaps I can find something in the log files?

EDIT: I just redid the log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/ajezovesak.kodi  

One thing I can see right away is the cached images are downscaled to 1280x720. Is there a way to avoid caching (or at least downscaling)?

Is it all the images, or just some of them?  Images from theaudiodb.com can be 1280x720 (and many are), so there's no way to avoid that.  I think fanart.tv only accepts 1080p images, so if those are being scaled down then I'm not sure what Kodi setting to change to fix that.
New Beta Available (3.0.1~beta11)
- updates for some setting retrievals that were still using old method
- updates for code style consistency

Available from my beta repo as usual.  This is all internal stuff.  No bug fixes or feature changes.
No, this (downscaling to 1080x720) seems to be happening to all my slideshow images. One example from my log file:

2020-01-01 15:50:13.935 T:6061   DEBUG: Caching image 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/E/PHOTOS-ZOE/IMG_6350.jpg' to '2/28bb397a.jpg':
2020-01-01 15:50:14.135 T:6061   DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/2/28bb397a.jpg' size 1080x720
(2020-01-01, 19:45)pulsar124 Wrote: [ -> ]No, this (downscaling to 1080x720) seems to be happening to all my slideshow images. One example from my log file:

2020-01-01 15:50:13.935 T:6061   DEBUG: Caching image 'smb://USERNAMETongue[email protected]/E/PHOTOS-ZOE/IMG_6350.jpg' to '2/28bb397a.jpg':
2020-01-01 15:50:14.135 T:6061   DEBUG: cached image 'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/2/28bb397a.jpg' size 1080x720
I've got nothing then.  I've never seen Kodi scale cached images down before, but I also don't have an Android TV device on which to test.
I tested beta 10 in win x64 master 1224 nightly and everything seems to work / no Python errors.  I notice there doesn't seem to be the option to show the notification text in v3 any more?

scott s.
(2020-01-01, 21:24)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]I tested beta 10 in win x64 master 1224 nightly and everything seems to work / no Python errors.  I notice there doesn't seem to be the option to show the notification text in v3 any more?

scott s.
I removed it.  It had been added way back because of how long it took to get the first image to show, and the new version doesn't really have that issue.  But you're the second person who's asked about it, so I'm going to take a look at adding it back.
New Beta Available (3.0.1~beta12)
- added back option to show notifications when downloading new images

To turn this on go to Settings > Images.  The option is at the bottom labeled "Show notifications during image downloads."

One quick reminder.  AS 3.x is currently English only, so the notification text is in English.  There were so many changes I had to throw away the old language files, and there doesn't seem to be a way anymore for non-Kodi team addon developers to use the project's space on the third party tool to build translations.  I'm still trying to figure out how to setup my own account (and figure out what, if anything, it might cost me), so hopefully the translations will come back in a later version.

Available from my beta repo as usual.
@pkscout

No luck here sadly.

18.4, tried full uninstall of 3.x, installed 2.x, tried about 8 skins, it's not starting really. Shame, something's going wrong but I'm not sure what
Beta 12 is showing notifications in Kodi 19 1224.  But in ver 2 there was a notification when no art was available.  Now what happens when music viz window is opened in Estuary is the default display shows for about 4-5 secs, then the screen is "black" and it either stays that way (no images) or after another 5-8 secs the "downloading art" notification pops up and art starts to display.

scott s.