Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist Slideshow addon (with skin and addon integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2013-06-26, 20:25)maxwel Wrote: [ -> ]I'm trying to install the beta version 1.5.3 on my xbmc frodo but i getting the version 1.5.1 back and the same setting before i had! What should I do?

A couple other folks seem to run into this as well. During the beta you really have to update the addon manually. See Post #547 for the best way to do that.
Thank you very very much pkscout! it seem like everything is working fine now.
I'm not entirely sure the 16:9 issue was resolved in the latest version 1.5.2. If that was the intention then it is not resolved in my case on Openelec en Frodo 12.2

If it is the intention to be fixed in 1.5.4, then consider this message as unsend.... ;-)

Vincent
(2013-06-27, 14:33)Quiptix Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not entirely sure the 16:9 issue was resolved in the latest version 1.5.2. If that was the intention then it is not resolved in my case on Openelec en Frodo 12.2

I double checked, and I am able to download artist images from last.fm with the 16:9 option selected. Can you confirm the artist(s) with whom you are having problems actually have 16:9 artwork on last.fm? If they do, please post a debug log and I'll look into it.
Currently running AS v.1.5.007 with default settings (Last.fm) and Aeon MQ4 skin. This was the issue I was seeing with the full screen background image, some others have mentioned similar problems?

Playing Artist: Japan

View of the XBMC main menu, background image is correct and was downloaded from TheAudioDB.com when I selected Reload Artist in XBMC.
I just added the artist Japan and this image to TheAudioDB.com site.

Full Screen mode

The background image is now incorrect and is actually the last artist I was playing before Japan which was Talk Talk.

I only added the artist Japan to my Music Library this morning and I haven't run CDArtManager yet. So In the Japan folder on the file server there is no extrafanart sub-folder. This is when the problem seems to occur when there are no extrafanart images available.

Looking on Fanart.tv the artist Japan doesn't appear to exist, so don't think running CDArtManager in this case would help.

So instead if I manually create an extrafanart sub-folder and copy in a couple of fanart images I found on Google, then when going in to full screen mode those correct images are displayed.

extrafanart image manually downloaded from Google and placed in the extrafanart sub-folder of the Japan artist folder.

Not sure if this problem is directly related to Artist Slideshow add-on or the skin or something else?

The problem also appears to be intermittent? as I have just rebooted and started Playing the artist: A Flock of Seagulls. Never played this artist before as was only added this morning, they currently have no extrafanart sub-folder, yet the correct background image is being display in the full screen mode and on the main menu. :Huh If I then immediately play another new artist that has no extrafanart sub-folder that also shows the correct image in full screen mode, so it seems to only happen sometimes.

Some good news however, since updating the AS add-on I am no longer getting crashes with unicode characters or when stopping or starting playback of something else Big Grin

Cheers
(2013-06-29, 15:17)cw-kid Wrote: [ -> ]Currently running AS v.1.5.007 with default settings (Last.fm) and Aeon MQ4 skin. This was the issue I was seeing with the full screen background image, some others have mentioned similar problems?

I have to have a debug log or I can't look into it any further.
(2013-06-29, 18:47)pkscuot Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-29, 15:17)cw-kid Wrote: [ -> ]Currently running AS v.1.5.007 with default settings (Last.fm) and Aeon MQ4 skin. This was the issue I was seeing with the full screen background image, some others have mentioned similar problems?

I have to have a debug log or I can't look into it any further.

OK thanks will try and capture something and post a log file.

Cheers
OK here is a log file: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=33127

I ensured a new log file was created and I rebooted the HTPC first etc.

I then played the artist Talk Talk and the full screen background image(s) were correctly showing fanart for Talk Talk.
There is an extrafanart sub-folder for the artist Talk Talk on the file server.

I then played the artist A Flock of Seagulls and in full screen mode it still showed an image for Talk Talk. A Flock of Seagulls does not have an extrafanart sub-folder present on the file server.

I then played the artist Yazoo, again in full screen mode it still showed an image for Talk Talk. Yazoo does not have an extrafanart sub-folder present on the file server.

I then played the artist Japan, this time in full screen mode the correct background image(s) were displayed for the artist Japan. Japan does have an extrafanart sub-folder present.

All of these artists correctly showed the right background image(s) on the XBMC main menu, however those with no extrafanart sub-folder did not show the correct background image in full screen mode during this test.

Thanks
I can't see any difference in the log file between the ones that didn't work and the one that did.

Can you post a screenshot of each page of your Artist Slideshow settings? What I'm seeing from the log would seem to indicate that you don't have a directory path for local artwork, so AS is only using whatever it can find from last.fm. That isn't the problem (it's perfectly valid to not have any local artwork), but with the setup I think you have, whether you have a local extrafanart sub-folder or not won't have any effect on anything.

You might also go ahead and ask about this on the Aeon Nox thread and see if anyone can duplicate the issue.
Screen shots as requested:

So should I set the Local Artist Folder to the root of my music folder on the WHS Server ?

I've just set it to SMB://WHS/MUSIC/

But doesn't seem to make any difference to the issue I described two posts back.

Many thanks Wink

Hi

I asked the question on the Aeon MQ4 thread here.
Turning off the extrafanart option in the skin for music, resolves the problem in that when in full screen mode each of the artists we were testing with, then shows the correct background image.

However I then obviously lose the rotating extrafanart feature for those artists that have an extrafanart sub-folder on the file server.

Seems like an issue with the skin ?

So the problem appears to be this - that if I have the extrafanart option for music turned on in the skin, and if I play an artist that happens to NOT have an extrafanart sub-folder present on the file server then when in music playback full screen the artist fanart shown is that of the last artist played and not the currently playing artist. Where the last artist played did have an extrafanart sub-folder present.

This is not the case however when on the XBMC main music menu, the artist fanart there is displayed correctly if the artist has an extrafanart sub-folder present or not. Only seems to be in full screen mode the issue occurs.

Thanks
Need some tagging advice for Artist Slideshow comparability.

I'm currently on 1.5.2, sort have been watching 1.5.3 progress. My problem is that I have many Korean and Japanese artists. It seems like to get art from Last.FM you often need to have the song artist in Hangul or Katakana characters, but in most cases on Musicbrainz they will use Latin characters (but it is kind of hit or miss). For my own benefit I have entered tags with artist and album MBIDs, but I guess nothing in XBMC or addons read these so no help for this. Last.FM typically has the best results for me so I would like to keep ability to have Artist Slideshow query that source if possible. Any suggestions or pointers? I have played with editing the nfos that Artist Slideshow creates but that's kind of slow going.

scott s.
(2013-07-01, 11:05)cw-kid Wrote: [ -> ]Turning off the extrafanart option in the skin for music, resolves the problem in that when in full screen mode each of the artists we were testing with, then shows the correct background image.

However I then obviously lose the rotating extrafanart feature for those artists that have an extrafanart sub-folder on the file server.

Seems like an issue with the skin ?

So the problem appears to be this - that if I have the extrafanart option for music turned on in the skin, and if I play an artist that happens to NOT have an extrafanart sub-folder present on the file server then when in music playback full screen the artist fanart shown is that of the last artist played and not the currently playing artist. Where the last artist played did have an extrafanart sub-folder present.

This is not the case however when on the XBMC main music menu, the artist fanart there is displayed correctly if the artist has an extrafanart sub-folder present or not. Only seems to be in full screen mode the issue occurs.

I would tend to agree it's a skin issue. My bet is that in fullscreen mode they have the extrafanart showing on top of the AS slideshow. If they change the order if those, then AS would play on top. If I can find some time I will download the skin and take a look.

To your other question, if you set AS to use both local and remote artwork, then the stuff in your extrafanart folder would show up in addition to the downloaded stuff when you're in fullscreen mode. The path you want to set in the settings in the parent directory of all the artists. So if you have your stuff setup locally as server\\drive/music/<artist>/extrafanart/ then you would want to set AS to server\\drive/music/

(2013-07-01, 22:42)scott967 Wrote: [ -> ]Need some tagging advice for Artist Slideshow comparability.

I'm currently on 1.5.2, sort have been watching 1.5.3 progress. My problem is that I have many Korean and Japanese artists. It seems like to get art from Last.FM you often need to have the song artist in Hangul or Katakana characters, but in most cases on Musicbrainz they will use Latin characters (but it is kind of hit or miss). For my own benefit I have entered tags with artist and album MBIDs, but I guess nothing in XBMC or addons read these so no help for this. Last.FM typically has the best results for me so I would like to keep ability to have Artist Slideshow query that source if possible. Any suggestions or pointers? I have played with editing the nfos that Artist Slideshow creates but that's kind of slow going.

1.5.3 will maintain all the last.fm functionality, so you could just leave it the way it is and you'll keep getting all the artwork, bios, and albums from last.fm. The other option is that if you can somehow get the musicbrainz ID for the given artist into the right place in the XBMC database (no, I don't know what the right place is), then in theory AS 1.5.3 will read that by using a JSON request to get it from XBMC. The thing is, I can't really test that code, as I don't have any artists that have the musicbrainz ID scraped and in the database. I believe that is suppose to be coming in XBMC 13, so I tried to code for that possibility.

You might also try going to Musicbrainz and searching for an artist using the native characters. If the list you get back includes the Latin version of the artist, check and see if that artist has the native character spelling as an alias. If so, AS will try and match on that as well.

The reality is that the Musicbrainz support I'm writing is a stop gap until XBMC scrapes that as part of the library import and update process. So it'll probably never been as good as or as flexible as the real thing. Given htbackdrops.com went away, I just couldn't wait another 6 months (or more) for the next major release of XBMC to add new services.
New Beta Available

v.1.5.3.009
- widened tolerance on 16:9 proportion check from last.fm
- musicbrainz lookup now validates artist based on releases, recordings, then works
- updated musicbrainz search to better deal with featured artists
- updated musicbrainz search to work with add-ons that call AS remotely
- fixed bug where cached images wouldn't be merged for featured artists

You can get it at https://github.com/pkscout/script.artist...master.zip

A note about the updates for the external add-on support. Your external add-on can now call AS and pass skin label names for album name and MusicBrainz ID. The MusicBrainz information can contain a comma delimited list of MusicBrainz IDs that are in the same order as the artists for the song. Neither album nor MusicBrainz ID are required, but the album is highly recommend if possible, as it makes the MusicBrainz search faster.

The call for AS would now look something like this:

Code:
artistslideshow = "RunScript(script.artistslideshow,windowid=%s&artistfield=%s&titlefield=%s&albumfield=%s&mbidfield=%s)"
        % (xbmcgui.getCurrentWindowId(), "CURRENTARTIST", "CURRENTTITLE", "CURRENTALBUM", "CURRENTMBID")
(2013-07-02, 04:19)pkscuot Wrote: [ -> ]To your other question, if you set AS to use both local and remote artwork, then the stuff in your extrafanart folder would show up in addition to the downloaded stuff when you're in fullscreen mode. The path you want to set in the settings in the parent directory of all the artists. So if you have your stuff setup locally as server\\drive/music/<artist>/extrafanart/ then you would want to set AS to server\\drive/music/

Hi

I set the path to the parent folder of the artists in AS. Which is: SMB://WHS/Music/
I changed the setting in AS to use both local and remote images.

But I am slightly confused about how things are meant to be working?

If in the Aeon MQ4 skin, I have selected from the pull down menu - Art -> Extra Fanart turned off. Then the artist background images that are displayed during playback, are the ones that it gets from TheAudioDB.com when you load / reload the artist etc. These presumably are then cached locally somewhere on the HTPC.

If I then turn back on Extra Fanart setting in the Aeon MQ4 skin, it only displays the artwork images in the artists extrafanart folder (If present) on the file server. Not a combination of both.

However if an artist doesn't have any extrafanart sub-folder present on the file server, then in that case (even when extrafanart is turned on in the skin) it will still display the artist background image obtained from TheAudioDB.com.

Many thanks.