Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu ATI x1200 really slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just upgraded from live 10.1 to XBMCbuntu and noticed that the GPU is detected as Software Rasterizer.

Its running horribly slow navigating the menus and movies stutter really bad (unwatchable)

Im no linux expert so could somebody please tell me what i need to do to get it working again, everything was fine in 10.1 live (installed to HDD) but i would really like to stay up to date.

Cheers
There's not much you can do. ATI has deprecated support for the x1200 chipset. I'm writing this on an HP laptop with the same chipset with Ubuntu 11.10 installed. The legacy driver put out by ATI does not work on the newer versions of Ubuntu, it may still work on Lucid, which is what Dharma (10.1) was initially installed on. XBMCbuntu, IIRC, uses Oneiric as it's base Ubuntu install, so the ATI proprietary drivers don't work with the x1200 chipset.

About your only choice is to downgrade to a version of Linux supported by the Legacy drivers and install the newest version of XBMC on top of that.
you can try the "radeon" free driver. It's going better and better each day.
you can try it by updating with the xorg-edgers ppa. If you still have software rasterizer, install libgl1-glx-mesa-experimental package.
I'm running the Radeon driver on my laptop, and performance in XBMC isn't that good. The GUI is slow and stuttery and you can pretty much forget 1080p content. This is on a 1200x800 screen as well. 720p content is okay, not great, but not a slideshow either.

I'm going to try edgers to see if I get any improvements.
the radeon stock driver doesnt have full 3d acceleration, but with ppa xorg-edgers and natty I managed to have a smoothy xbmc and hd content !
Give a try, and if things go worth you can go back !
nonorider360 Wrote:you can try the "radeon" free driver. It's going better and better each day.
you can try it by updating with the xorg-edgers ppa. If you still have software rasterizer, install libgl1-glx-mesa-experimental package.

Ill give this a try, just a question do i just intstall this through the package manager and thats it, or is there some other mods i need to apply.
I dont exactly remember everything, but il look like that in my memory :
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install libgl1-glx-mesa-experimental

you can found other tricks on phoronix's forum. I recently see that you can enable PCI express compliant if you card is capable.

And if everything goes weird, you can go back thank to the ppa-purge package.
well guys i tried and i tried but no luck, so i ended up installing windows xp on the machine and eden, all is well now.

thanks for your assistance.

Cheers
What kind of troubles you encounter ?
There come more troubles from mobile graphic card. I understand that you want to give up with linux.
Had the same problems depicted here...

Updated everything as suggested by nonorider360, but X was failing to start after that Smile

Checked xorg logs in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found out, radeon module was complaining about DRI. Found out, it was KMS related.
The solution was to load radeon kernel module before X was started, options radeon modeset=1 to enable KMS. I decided to autoload radeon module with these options during boot.

Steps to do it yourself:

Code:
sudo echo "options radeon modeset=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf
sudo echo "radeon" >> /etc/modules

reboot and enjoy Smile
I run Xbmcubuntu live off the USB pen how/when do I enter those commands in?
(2012-06-19, 19:56)cr33ch Wrote: [ -> ]I run Xbmcubuntu live off the USB pen how/when do I enter those commands in?
Unfortunately I've got no idea how XBMCbuntu live boot and module loading works. Maybe some XBMCbuntu live developer can answer it?
Attach a keyboard and push Ctrl+Alt+<F1-F6>. This drops you to a shell where the command can be entered.