Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: is XBMC encouraging the movie industry to provide digital copies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know Warner Bros. attempted this with Where the Wild Things Are etc. but those digital copies were SD only.
I think the sweet spot here to discourage piracy would be to allow an uncompromised BR rip from the big players online (amazon, play etc).
I know Amazon have attempted this but are the digital copies of equal quality to a bluray rip?
I don't think the price comes down enough either. Surely if they don't have to pay for packaging, a retail store, or retail staff and the like.. wouldn't it be fair to have a sub-£10 digital copy price for a movie? Would anyone else on here be happy to pay that?

Sounding off topic to my own thread, but bringing it back now:
XBMC has really taken off, and it has pushed the NAS market along in tow, the UK broadband system is nowhere near ready to stream >30gb movies to the home, but I would be more than happy to wait 3 hours downloading a movie to my NAS rather than go to the shop and pay extra for a disk I can't even share between devices easily.
Even if they do provide digital copies they are wrapped in DRM and still unable to be played across multiple devices. I've bought a couple of movies that had the digital copies included but they could only be played with a specific player on certain OS's and they have to be redeemed within a certain time. I don't even bother with the digital copies and just rip the disc and make a digital copy myself, that way I can enjoy my media on my phone, Linux laptop, ps3, xbmc etc...
If you can rent Blu-Rays, wouldn't it be possible to have a Blu-Ray swap club.. every person brings a few Blu-Rays to swap every Friday night for exchange... whoa... how about a store front for those who can't make Friday night (credit card imprint needed Smile and pick & choose ones on the shelf...We could allow a mail forward... of those swaps as long as shipping was looked after... lets call it Block Buseter I heard that tag has come available.

all non profit of course.. provided I'm looked after in the manner I'm accustomed...