Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can someone help me get started with my HTPC+XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there. Not only am I new to this forum, I'm also new with the whole HTPC + XBMC setup. So I'm kindly asking for your help. I have a clean HTPC with two 2TB HDDs in it, and a 8GB USB3 stick. What is the best (and fastest working) XBMC solution? I've tried OpenElec because I liked the fact that you could put the XBMC on a stick and keep all the HDD space for movies and music but I'm having a lot of problems with it. Problems I can't really fix since I don't know anything about Linux.

My problem with OpenElec is as follow: When I select the big directory (500GB+) on my Windows system and want to copy it all to my HTPC (not all in one time but bit by bit) the system keeps locking up. I can watch any movie now on my HTPC without any trouble, but I can't copy any more files to my HDD, if I do try it, it locks up It's like there is a limit of how much data I can put on my HDD, even though I have still so much space left. Does anyone know a sollution for this?

Secondly: OpenElec was the first XBMC I found and the first one I tried out. Since I have some problems with it, I was wondering: is this the best XBMC version for me, or do you guys recommend a different XBMC that's better/more stable?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Rurouni
Openelec is good as is the new XBMCbuntu but if you are familiar with how windows operates install windows on your HTPC and install XBMC on top of that. The space taken up by the operating system is negligible compared to your 4Tb of HDD space.

As to why you can't copy data from one system to the other - No idea.
Do you "push" the files from the Windows machine to the HTPC or opposite way around? Not that it should matter, but you never know with computers...
rocketpants Wrote:Openelec is good as is the new XBMCbuntu but if you are familiar with how windows operates install windows on your HTPC and install XBMC on top of that. The space taken up by the operating system is negligible compared to your 4Tb of HDD space.

As to why you can't copy data from one system to the other - No idea.

The reason why I didn't install Windows is because I want my HTPC to automaticly boot XBMC and as quickly as possible. But if I can't fix this problem with copying the files, then I think I have no other choice. Anyone?
Orclas Wrote:Do you "push" the files from the Windows machine to the HTPC or opposite way around? Not that it should matter, but you never know with computers...

Just a simple CTRL+C -> CTRL+V from my Windows to my HTPC. nothing special.
erikvdkuilen Wrote:Just a simple CTRL+C -> CTRL+V from my Windows to my HTPC. nothing special.

Try drag-and-drop. There is some difference, although I can't say what, and is the prefered way to move files based on Windows. Usually it just leads to faster transfer time, but may be worth trying before you give up.

Another work around would be to drop the two disks into you Windows PC and make a local file transfer, but that does of course not work for future transfers.