Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xmbcbuntu: Run xbmc within lxde window manager or as separate session?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I haven't installed xbmcbuntu yet and this I do not understand:

Now when I start the computer will I be automatically logged in into xmbc?
Or should I log in into lxde and start xmbc from there?

First I thought that xbmc has to be run from the login screen as its own session. But then I read on the wiki at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...u/HOW-TO_1 : Autostart XBMC (optional alternative): "Ubuntu will now load gnome first then xbmc straight after, slightly slower but it keeps your gnome session available."

Does this mean I can log in into lxde and start xmbc from there? That way I could launch a web browser fast.
If xbmc has to be run in its own session, isn't it annoying that one has to log out and log in into lxde just to browse the internet with chromium or firefox?
I boot my single-core Acer Revo straight into an XBMC session (I really have no need for the desktop), but I have run it from the LXDE desktop and there isn't much of a performance hit. But yes, you're using up some system resources by running XBMC from the LXDE desktop -- just not nearly as much as Gnome (and even on my brother's Core 2 Duo vanilla Ubuntu rig, XBMC runs fine on top of Gnome).

You probably won't notice much of a drop in performance though, especially if your HTPC is any more powerful than a single-core ION. It's only "annoying" to log out and log back on if you plan on using the desktop frequently. But if this is your usage scenario, you probably want a machine that's just a little more powerful than an ION box anyway; and in this case, the performance penalty will be negligible.
Thanks for your answer!