Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [FIX] Eden: Failed to initialize Audio...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I just got done installed xbmcbuntu on my Zotac HD-ID11 (Ion2) box and have been running into a number of configuration problems. One of them was the dreaded "failed to initialize audio" error. On Dharma, the audio just worked right out of the box. For Eden, the in menu sounds worked, but not when you play a file.

I stumbled upon this post...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1017191

That says to use a custom string, which is...

alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia

I tried this and it worked out great. Ironically, it's what was in my old config file from Dharma as well. I was wondering if this is a general problem with Eden, or if it's something that I'm doing wrong. Since lots of people of Ion 2 boxes, it may be good to try to get it fixed in the distro if others have the same issue.
(2012-03-15, 04:19)wiz561 Wrote: [ -> ]alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia
You just made my day, thanks :-)

I have a Zotac ID41 with a clean XBMCbuntu installation and am using 5.1 via HDMI and a A/V receiver. I got the same "failed to initialize audio device" and stumbled across your solution after quite some searching and try/error. Just in case anyone else has the same issue with the same HW, here's my working config:

Audio output device: Custom
Custom audio device:
Code:
plug:both

Passthrough output device: Custom
Custom passthrough device:
Code:
alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia
I have a question about this...

I currently run Zotac ID40... Everything use to work just fine after I setup custom on audio to be hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

Then I played some streaming radio and everything broke... I get video and audio just fine except when playing WMV files..Those use to work but now I get nothing out of them.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

(2012-04-09, 04:38)uidzro Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question about this...

I currently run Zotac ID40... Everything use to work just fine after I setup custom on audio to be hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0

Then I played some streaming radio and everything broke... I get video and audio just fine except when playing WMV files..Those use to work but now I get nothing out of them.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

you might need to delete (backup first) your ~/.asoundrc and create a new sound configuration. I had this happen this morning.
sorry to hijack....

I had fixed my issues on id41 with the help of this page - I noticed however, that I don't have a .asoundrc file - is that a problem you think?