Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: refresh changer question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In order to stop 24 fps materials audio from going out of sync whilst being played smoothly I have set my xbmcbuntu desktop refresh rate to 24hz and disabled the refresh rate changer which works nice.

Is it possible that the refresh changer can be activated only for non 24fps video and stay off when the fps of the video matches the current refresh rate (24hz)?

I ask this because when the refresh changer is activated it messes up the audio sync even when the current refresh rate 24hz matches the refresh rate of the 24p video and I need the refresh rate to be changed for 50 & 60 hz material which it does without issue..
When it's on, what does it set the refresh rate to when playing 24fps material? You can check by pressing "o" during playback. It'll tell you what the source material is and what the current refresh rate is. If it sets it to anything other than 24hz, you might try putting an override in your advancedsettings.xml. Something like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <adjustrefreshrate>
    <override>
      <fpsmin>23.96</fpsmin>
      <fpsmax>24.01</fpsmax>
      <refresh>24</refresh>
    </override>
  </adjustrefreshrate>
</video>
</advancedsettings>
Thanks for that suggestion, it always changes the refresh rate to 24fps as it supposed to.

I tried putting an overide in manually last night as you say but I got the same behaviour, audio sync issues/

The only way I can keep the audio in sync so far and use the refresh changer is to force the overide to set it to 60fps, but then I get the slight judder. My native refresh it 50hz.
One other thing you could try is to set the audio delay manually from the audio menu during playback. I have refresh rate switching enabled and I've had to set my delay at 175ms for all content. If that works, you can save that setting globally.
I tried the global av delay patch but dont get consistent results.
This is very strange, if the desktop refreshrate is 24 hertz, XBMC should not change it for a 24 fps video.
(2012-03-16, 18:37)bobo1on1 Wrote: [ -> ]This is very strange, if the desktop refreshrate is 24 hertz, XBMC should not change it for a 24 fps video.

It doesn't change the refresh rate but it goes through the motions and stays at 24hz but it must be whatever it does to detect the rate that screws the audio sync??
Vertical Blank sync under the appearance section. Could this have anything to do with it? I have disabled it and am currently watching 24 fps material with the refresh changer on and screen on 24hz and it is in sync.

I'll see if it remains , brill if it does. This is to stop tearing I think?
To confirm after further testing with vertical blank sync on the audio is out.
With vertical blank sync off, the audio is fine.

Why is this please?
again more noticed, if I have tear free setting enabled in ati which is independent of the settting in xbmc i get sync issues. Disabled it is fine. The only problem is now I get the occasional tear but I can put up with that..

Anyone know how to get the best of both worlds?
just to say that I got a nvidia gt430 and have had no synch issues whatsoever that i have noticed. Yay!