Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Launches to Fluxbox?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

My xbmc live machine launches into Fluxbox. On startup I am faced with a login screen, enter my username and password, then I have GUI desktop.

Right click, applications, viewers, xbmc -> this launches my xbmc-live

Anyone know how I can stop fluxbox auto launching, and instead auto launch xbmc live?
It did not started to this by itself, correct? You have installed something that brought in a display manager. It is that easy to help you when you do not explain what you have done.

Anyway, if you drop to command line and do
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live
that will re-install xbmc-live and remove the DM (most likely)
Thanks for listening vikjon0

I followed you advice and it certainly seemed to run through a whole host of things, however it now starts up to a command line rather than the gui

When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc

I have worked out that my startx is launching Fluxbox rather than XBMCLive, what I don't know is how I get it to do the latter by default
Have a read through this post... Ive posted links to where I got my info from in the post.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid834775

One thing I do differently since then is launch into xbmc and not fluxbox

xbmc@blaster:~$ cat ~/.xinitrc
exec ck-launch-session xbmc

With this setup my htpc boots straight into xbmc with no login/password and if I exit xbmc/it crashes it just restarts into xbmc again.
Quote:When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc
This is normal....could it be that the grub was messed up as well? It should have been fixed by the re-install but I have no other suggestions.
If you check the kernel lines in grub.cfg...do you have a lot of xbmc stuff in there or not?
(2012-03-17, 08:46)vikjon0 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:When I run startx from the command line I am taken back into the gui, rather than xmbc
This is normal....could it be that the grub was messed up as well? It should have been fixed by the re-install but I have no other suggestions.
If you check the kernel lines in grub.cfg...do you have a lot of xbmc stuff in there or not?

Below is my grub.cfg
It seems to have the xbmc=autostart option. It also has steve=autostart (I set my XBMC user name as steve) - I wonder if this causes any issues.
Code:
#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="0"
if [ ${prev_saved_entry} ]; then
  set saved_entry=${prev_saved_entry}
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then
    saved_entry=${chosen}
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function recordfail {
  set recordfail=1
  if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then if [ -z ${boot_once} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
}
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07
if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=800x600
  insmod gfxterm
  insmod vbe
  if terminal_output gfxterm ; then true ; else
    # For backward compatibility with versions of terminal.mod that don't
    # understand terminal_output
    terminal gfxterm
  fi
fi
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,1)'
set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
set lang=en
insmod gettext
if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
  set timeout=-1
else
  set timeout=10
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-38-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-38-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro   quiet splash steve=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-38-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-38-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-38-generic ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-38-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro single
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-38-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-29-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-29-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro   quiet splash steve=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
}
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-29-generic (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
    recordfail
    set gfxpayload=800x600
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    echo    'Loading Linux 2.6.32-29-generic ...'
    linux    /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-29-generic root=UUID=60d69fa7-31e4-4ebe-96fa-05cc2fa5bf07 ro single
    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd    /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-29-generic
}
### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
if [ ${timeout} != -1 ]; then
  if keystatus; then
    if keystatus --shift; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=0
    fi
  else
    if sleep --interruptible 3 ; then
      set timeout=0
    fi
  fi
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

teeedubb I had a look at your post and created a xinitrc file which i did not previously have, but that didn't help, still loading to command line, from there startx takes me to fluxbox.
yes, that looks strange but I have never used any other user name than xbmc so I do not know how it would look.
You can try to change that but to honest I would advice you to re-install to save you grief.

What about your ~/.bash_profile file? Thats what launches x, and the xinit should file launch xbmc.
my ~/.bash_profile file
Code:
if [[ ! $DISPLAY && ! -e /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 ]] && (( EUID )); then
  exec startx
fi

Anything strange in there?

I think I may rebuild the whole thing as vikjon0 suggests, just worried I might lose the media files I have on the machine, as I prefer having the install on the hdd rather than via usb
Strange... from my understanding that should launch x... I know that on my system I dont have any of the user=autostart entries in grub.cfg, its pretty much stock standard. Are these files in your /home/steve/ directory, as thats the username you use for xbmc? Maybe try removing the xbmc=autostart entry and see hopw that goes...
No joy. Thanks guys, but looks like I'm biting the bullet and going for a reinstall!

My worries:
- I have media saved locally on my hdd, hope I don't lose them
- I had fun setting my remote control up, hope that's not painful
- Major trauma setting up transmission to download to the hdd

Journey of discovery again I think!!
Backup your existing install so that you can use your old config files, or reinstall xbmc onto a new partition. I have a 15gig system/xbmc partition with the rest for roms, this keeps everything separate and prevents the hdd from filling up which linux doesnt like very much.