Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to connect XBMC and Roku?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i'm running PCLinuxOS, fully updated and have the Roku Beta installed on the little Roku player. Am using wireless and am able to ping the Roku from my PC.

i suspect that the problem is that XBMC is not actually "connected" to any server but i'm not even sure of this. What steps should i take to proceed. The Roku also has access to the internet.

Have a great morning! Smile

Am attaching the xbmc.txt which was xbmc.log file.
What exactly are you trying to do? I'm not aware of any connectivity capabilities between the Roku and XBMC, although there could be something I'm not aware of. XBMC is meant to play media from local sources, and can stream from internet sources with various plugins. Roku is primarily used for internet services.
Thanks, Keith. i guess i misunderstood. i though that since XBMC was a media server it might be able to "serve" files to my Roku. In the meantime i've found MyMedia Server which is also OpenSource and it works just great. It doesn't have such a beautiful GUI as XBMC, sigh, but it will do.

Thanks again and have a great afternoon! Smile
XBMC can serve files via DLNA, but you won't get the XBMC interface, just file listings. That's the way DLNA works.
My work around to get media to my ROKU from XBMC.

Install XBMC on computer download and save desired media to harddive. Install PLEX on ROKU and PLEX MEDIA SERVER on computer. Direct media to movie folder in PMS (Plex Media Server). Roku will now play downloaded material.

(2013-01-18, 20:35)Mad/one Wrote: [ -> ]My work around to get media to my ROKU from XBMC.

Install XBMC on computer download and save desired media to harddive. Install PLEX on ROKU and PLEX MEDIA SERVER on computer. Direct media to movie folder in PMS (Plex Media Server). Roku will now play downloaded material.

So what part does xbmc play in that? Absolutely nothing it seems.
(2013-01-18, 22:15)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-01-18, 20:35)Mad/one Wrote: [ -> ]My work around to get media to my ROKU from XBMC.

So what part does xbmc play in that? Absolutely nothing it seems.

Probably just using some third-party add-ons to download media content from various sources. Don't need XBMC if that's all one is using it for. And you're right, that doesn't address the OP's requirement.