Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Harddrive usage inceases until xbmc fills it up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,
This is my first post here. And first of all I would like to thank developers for making and porting XBMC to Linux.

Now to the problems. I just installed XBMC (xbmc-Eden_beta3-xbmcbuntu.iso) that I installed to the harddrive from a live USB stick. It all worked fine except for some buggs. First of all when trying to make partitions if you choose to partition up your hard drive for some reason installation gui makes it really difficult. I do believe this is easy to reproduce as it happened on all partitions I tried to make. Just make a partition (use MB size) and give it the mount point of a root ("/). For some reason installation uses whole free space remaining on the drive for the root partition. So root partition need to be created last. Also you can not format swap parition. That option is not possible during the installation.

The Next problem is the disk space usage. Observe that I am not adding any addons or installing anything new. When I installed XBMC in the first place after using "df -h" to check for a free space there was about 2.2 GB free on the root ("/") partition. After some time beeing up it uses progresively the rest of the free space until the root partition gets filled up to the point where there is not free space on root parition. By then if I reboot XBMC will not start again, but it gets stuck and the last line that is showed is "Checking for the battery [OK]". I can however log on to the virtual console (pressing CRTL+ ALT + F1). What I did I removed 2 really huge files in the /var/log names kernel.log and syslog. Those files together took about 2.4GB of the space. Then I was able to run XBMC again. But the problem still remains. Those two files are not recreated, but the hard drive still gets filled up. What fies are created and what is filling up the space Ia m not yets sure.

Any lights suggestions on above problem will be appriciated. Observe that I am not new to the linux, but I do need some help here since XBMC is new to me so is Ubuntu.
Thanks in advance.
There is a reason why the log file gets bigger. What is in them? Have a look.

Why in gods name do you want to format a swap partition? Leave it alone or delete it.