Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wifi setup in XBMCbuntu Beta3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

I hope you can help me out with an easy step-by-step way to get my wifi connection setup in cbuntu.
Sounds easy right? Maybe it is but I have on experience with Linux - and now I have to admit defeat and ask for help.

My setup is a desktop PC with no possibility of LAN cable hookup. (wife won't allow it)
I want to boot directly from USB key to xbmcbuntu (as you can with openelec) to get an easy/fast
There's NO other OS installed/running.

I have it installed on a usb key and it boots fine into xbmcbuntu but I have no connection to my router.

I would very much appreciate if someone can run me through this on a very basic level Wink
exit xbmc log into the xbmcbunu session and use the networkmanager to connect to internet. Exactly as you would on windows or Ubuntu.
Just as I imagined... sooo easy once you know how Smile
Thank you
I found it nicer to use Wicd for the WiFi.

Easier for new people as well.
(2012-03-23, 00:02)Jackster Wrote: [ -> ]I found it nicer to use Wicd for the WiFi.

Easier for new people as well.

How do you figure it to be easier when nm is already installed and you just have to click on the icon?
Besides, nm conflicts with wicd and would have to be removed, doesn't seem easier to me.
(2012-03-21, 16:14)vikjon0 Wrote: [ -> ]exit xbmc log into the xbmcbuntu session and use the networkmanager to connect to internet. Exactly as you would on windows or Ubuntu.

How is this done? When I try to log into xbmcbuntu is simply hangs at the splash screen...actually have to reboot the machine to exit. Is it supposed to be a normal gnome session?
(2012-03-31, 05:52)tstack77 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-21, 16:14)vikjon0 Wrote: [ -> ]exit xbmc log into the xbmcbuntu session and use the networkmanager to connect to internet. Exactly as you would on windows or Ubuntu.

How is this done? When I try to log into xbmcbuntu is simply hangs at the splash screen...actually have to reboot the machine to exit. Is it supposed to be a normal gnome session?

I guess I'm not the only one. I'm trying to get XBMCbuntu going on a machine I cobbled together with parts from other machines. The result is no slouch (I think). ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe Series motherboard, AMD Phenom (6400?) processor, 4 GB of RAM, 160 GB SATA + 500 GB IDE of drive space, 500 watt power supply. Not absolutely state of the art, but I'm happy to have it.

I installed XBMCbuntu from an image I downloaded a couple of days ago, Everything seems to be fine except that I can't get the on-board wireless to work, which is why I'm trying to get out to Ubuntu to see if I can make it go there. But as the previous poster says, when I exit XBMC and try to get into Ubuntu, it hangs at the splash screen and requires a reboot.

This last time, not only did it hang on the splash screen, but on reboot it automagically went back to the same splash screen and hung there again after the reboot.

I am new to XBMC and Ubuntu and despite this little hang I find myself impressed. Thanks to those behind the effort! For the time being I'm going to try putting XBMC 11 on top of a fresh Ubuntu, and try wireless with a new ASUS USB wireless dongle to see how that goes. Cheers!
WiFi fixed!!

For what it's worth, the solution to my WiFi problems came with flashing the BIOS on my motherboard, which is an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe Series with WiFi.

I went to the motherboard page on the Asus website, looked as the "supported processors" page, found mine and looked at the available BIOS versions and what they were for. I found a couple of BIOS revisions that had WiFi-related fixes, so I decided to flash to the latest BIOS. When I was done, WiFi worked beautifully without further changes.

This was for Ubuntu 11.10, which I had reverted to when I ran into the problem of XBMC's Ubuntu hanging on the splash screen (above). I don't know what that splash screen problem was, but I'm hesitant to go back to XBMCbuntu because of it. I think I'll try loading XBMC as an app in Ubuntu, though I don't know the pro's and con's of that arrangement vs XBMCbuntu, if any.