Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ATV2 and external hard drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,
Hoping for a releif here. I have an external hard drive with videos and movies. I'm trying to connect it to my PC and browse on my ATV 2/XBMC. Is it possible to do this way? What do I need to do to make it work perfectly so that I won't run out of storage on my PC hard drive. Btw I'm using Win 7 Ultimate X64. External hard drive is FAT32.
Any guide or help is appreciated.
Thanks
eye cancer because of your really big and really red signature dude ...

i would try to share the drive via windows file shareing aka samba ...
Alright dude no more signature eye cancer..... Didn't realize that I can connect my external HDD straight to my Smart TV. Hassle free enjoy......
Anyway thanks for your reply.
Get a Pogoplug. They're about $30 and give you 4 USB ports and connect to your local network via ethernet. Or get a router with a USB port.
I have an netgear router with usb port, an external hdd(from old lap top) with movies, music,photos, etc.. attached to it. I use samba to configure the share now I can have access to all my media from any device in my network ; my captivate,atv2,xbox360 and of course my pc. The thing I like is that my pc does not have to be on to stram my media.
(2012-03-22, 12:25)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Get a Pogoplug. They're about $30 and give you 4 USB ports and connect to your local network via ethernet. Or get a router with a USB port.

it is a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheap beats by dre, Genius only means hard-working all one's life.

(2012-03-21, 19:09)freak1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,
Hoping for a releif here. I have an external hard drive with videos and movies. I'm trying to connect it to my PC and browse on my ATV 2/XBMC. Is it possible to do this way? What do I need to do to make it work perfectly so that I won't run out of storage on my PC hard drive. Btw I'm using Win 7 Ultimate X64. External hard drive is FAT32.
Any guide or help is appreciated.
Thanks

Hi all!

A good solution to the problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Satellite-...ef=lh_ni_t

san2000

This could be really the solution if I'm on vacation or something and have no PC or laptop with me just the atv2.
But how can you connect to it ? I don't see samba listed. I guess you would need a special ios or android app.
Also I wonder if there would be buffering issues with 720p material.