Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Support of large drives on Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I have the stable version running on a Win7 machine with a 3TB drive hosting my video files.

I put the XBMCbuntu Live files on a USB stick to check it out, and it doesn't find the large drive at all. Finds the rest of the drives in the system just fine, even with the NTFS file system.

After looking around here, I see that there are some things needed to be done to allow the Linux to see the large drives, but how does one do that in the Live setup?
If I close the XBMC, I get to a Linux desktop with nothing but the shutdown button. (actually got stuck there on my first run through of Live.. had to hard power off the machine to get it out of the Live environment)

What happens if I want to run a Raid setup in this machine? Am I stuck with a XBMC on top of a full OS setup?

Are Network shares treated differently? Can the larger drives be accessed properly if they aren't hosted locally?
The 'large drive" needs to be reformatted to an EFI based volume using gdisk. You can then format it to whatever filesystem you choose with gparted (as long as it supports the partition size). I ran into to same problem with my 3TB NTFS volume.
Hmm.. ok.. now to figure out how to get to gdisk on a live installation.
Prolly have to actually install it first... hmm?

And just what am I supposed to do with all the files I have on that big drive while I am reformatting it?

*SIGH*
Things were so much easier when you could backup to tape or CD..