Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Harmony Remote + i5 2012 Mac Mini + Lion + Eden
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Wondering if anyone has found a way of setting up a Harmony remote to work with the latest Mac Mini and XBMC on OSX Lion?

I have searched but there doesn't seem like a way of doing this with the above combination. Plugging in Plex as device doesn't seem to work with Eden any more.

Cheers,

Dean
How about buying a flirc receiver with the harmony remote?
(2012-03-23, 08:49)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]How about buying a flirc receiver with the harmony remote?

Whilst FLIRC is great, the harmony remote should be able to work with the IR receiver already in the mac mini.

Are you sure it's an eden issue (can you try installing dharma and see the same result?)
I have two receivers: an MCE receiver and I also have a Motorola NYXBoard receiver.

The Harmony already has XBMC programmed in to it (entered as "MCE Remote" in the Harmony Software) from when I was using it with windows, but it doesn't seem to work with either of the receivers. Maybe I just have a setting wrong somewhere. Not sure

The Flirc sounds great if it will work OK.

pseudo7 - I thought there was no receiver in the Mac Mini anymore?

My bad - I assumed it still had one.

I personally have had bad experiences with MCE receivers and trying to get them to work and bought FLIRC (which I don't regret one bit). Wrote a review but Nate Thomas stopped replying to my PM's:
Short Youtube link showing programming of FLIRC:

My Review:

I have recently come across a product which has enhanced my XBMC experience, and wanted to give back to the community and share my findings about Flirc.
Much like the Pulse8 articles that crop up from time-to-time, my intention is to highlight what I think is a great product that many users may not have heard about. As such this article treads the fine line between advertising and informing - it is not intended as an advert.

(Disclaimer - whilst I am “staff” on the FLIRC forums I am not employed by Flirc and do not benefit directly, financially or otherwise, from the project)

What is Flirc?
Flirc allows you to pair your same television remote to your computer with easy one time use set-up software
Flirc is a small USB infra-red (I.R.) adapter that receives I.R. commands from a remote control.
(Cute little guy)

Flirc is different from other I.R. adapters.
Conventionally, I.R. adapters require the computer to understand the I.R. commands, which is what LIRC is for. However, methods like LIRC require extensive knowledge should your remote control not be supported, which can be more frequently than expected, LIRC is not meant for the novice. (Not trying to bad mouth the hard work on remote support by XBMC dev - just my opinion)
That's where flirc steps in. Flirc is detected as a USB keyboard, eliminating the need for XBMC special drivers. Any media center application that supports a keyboard as an input device, supports flirc out of the box.

Programming Flirc is easy to do, but ironically rather hard to explain so I’ve made a video:

(Bonus points if you guess what the video playing in XBMC is)
Also there is a video by Flirc explaining the steps:
http://vimeo.com/12542134

Flirc + XBMC = Happiness!
XBMC has many great functions, not being able to control them is a huge kick in the teeth.
You can control XBMC by keyboard using keyboard presses (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard), so if your remote can do keyboard presses then you have loads more control.
Flirc sends keyboard presses to the computer... perfect non?
Flirc supports nearly every remote (see current Flirc limitations) and XBMC supports nearly every platform. So Flirc aims to make your remote work with your XBMC install on any computer that supports USB. Flirc is even supported on the xbox 360 after previously paired with a computer running windows, linux, or osx.

Flirc can store 160 keys. The possibilities are great. For example, the off button on a remote could be mapped to the key combination Alt+F4.
After paired, when you press the off button on the remote, Flirc sends ALT+F4 to the computer.

Who Makes Flirc?
Flirc was set up by Jason Kotzin and his wife Maggie. It is a small company of which Jason is the only one coding for.
For more about them: http://www.flirc.tv/about_us/

Current Flirc Limitations
All young projects have their niggles, Flirc is no different.
Unfortunately, MCE remotes, which are quite prevalent amongst the XBMC users, don’t work as well as they should and are best avoided at the moment .
At a very basic level (which is my understanding of it) they emit non-standard I.R. frequencies (about 56Khz), standard frequency being 38Khz.
For more in-depth discussion on this issue please see these forum topics:
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/9...st__p__514

This issue is being worked on, but new features for existing remotes are being added first.

The Golden Lining
A portion of every sale goes to the USC Cancer Research center that Jason's oncologists leads and where Jason underwent chemotherapy.
http://www.flirc.tv/fundraising/
Every sale of Flirc results in a donation to the charity.
As a result Flirc module is a proprietary piece of technology to ensure the charity continues to benefit from Jason’s hard work.
Jason would like to report back to XBMC users how much they have contributed to the charity, please use discount code XBMC when you purchase to allow him to track down XBMC purchases. You get the same discount as the other codes.

My XBMC Set-Up
(Complete with ghetto student look)
and

For my XBMC set-up: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=828...stcount=20
(HP adapter is what I had before I found FLIRC)

Hopefully this has helped someone.

If you have any questions about Flirc there is a forum dedicated to it (forum.flirc.tv), post any requests, problems or thanks there for friendly help (i’m Chris! on the forums there).
Thanks for the great info Chris.

I will purchase one of these and see how I get on. Nice to see a portion of the sales going to cancer research as well.

Cheers,

Dean
There is an IR receiver in the newest mini, you don't need anything else. Did you remember to turn on the multi remote profile in XBMC settings?
natethomas has probably just been busy. At the very least, we can put your review up on the wiki :D
(2012-03-24, 19:41)toiva Wrote: [ -> ]There is an IR receiver in the newest mini, you don't need anything else. Did you remember to turn on the multi remote profile in XBMC settings?

Yep, you're right - it does have a receiver in it.

Got it to work by using the device in the Harmony software I used for the ATV1 which is "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo".

The only things missing are the info & stop buttons. Maybe I can use my Motorola NYXBoard remote to teach it some commands.

Cheers.

Edit - I have found holding down the "OK" button on the Harmony brings up info and holding down the "Menu" button on the Harmony brings up a contextual menu. The stop button I can live without.
Plex Player profile is the correct one in the Harmony settings.. Are you sure you did not choose for instance "Plexapp" profile?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660
I tried Plex Player in the profile, but with my setup (latest i5 Mini +OSX + XBMC Eden RC2 + Harmony) hardly any buttons work for some reason. Entering "Mac Mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo" got most things to work.

I'll wait for the FLIRC receiver to arrive and then see if I can add some more commands.
(2012-03-23, 21:20)pseudo7 Wrote: [ -> ]My bad - I assumed it still had one.

I personally have had bad experiences with MCE receivers and trying to get them to work and bought FLIRC (which I don't regret one bit). Wrote a review but Nate Thomas stopped replying to my PM's:
Short Youtube link showing programming of FLIRC:

My Review:

I have recently come across a product which has enhanced my XBMC experience, and wanted to give back to the community and share my findings about Flirc.
Much like the Pulse8 articles that crop up from time-to-time, my intention is to highlight what I think is a great product that many users may not have heard about. As such this article treads the fine line between advertising and informing - it is not intended as an advert.

(Disclaimer - whilst I am “staff” on the FLIRC forums I am not employed by Flirc and do not benefit directly, financially or otherwise, from the project)

What is Flirc?
Flirc allows you to pair your same television remote to your computer with easy one time use set-up software
Flirc is a small USB infra-red (I.R.) adapter that receives I.R. commands from a remote control.
(Cute little guy)

Flirc is different from other I.R. adapters.
Conventionally, I.R. adapters require the computer to understand the I.R. commands, which is what LIRC is for. However, methods like LIRC require extensive knowledge should your remote control not be supported, which can be more frequently than expected, LIRC is not meant for the novice. (Not trying to bad mouth the hard work on remote support by XBMC dev - just my opinion)
That's where flirc steps in. Flirc is detected as a USB keyboard, eliminating the need for XBMC special drivers. Any media center application that supports a keyboard as an input device, supports flirc out of the box.

Programming Flirc is easy to do, but ironically rather hard to explain so I’ve made a video:

(Bonus points if you guess what the video playing in XBMC is)
Also there is a video by Flirc explaining the steps:
http://vimeo.com/12542134

Flirc + XBMC = Happiness!
XBMC has many great functions, not being able to control them is a huge kick in the teeth.
You can control XBMC by keyboard using keyboard presses (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keyboard), so if your remote can do keyboard presses then you have loads more control.
Flirc sends keyboard presses to the computer... perfect non?
Flirc supports nearly every remote (see current Flirc limitations) and XBMC supports nearly every platform. So Flirc aims to make your remote work with your XBMC install on any computer that supports USB. Flirc is even supported on the xbox 360 after previously paired with a computer running windows, linux, or osx.

Flirc can store 160 keys. The possibilities are great. For example, the off button on a remote could be mapped to the key combination Alt+F4.
After paired, when you press the off button on the remote, Flirc sends ALT+F4 to the computer.

Who Makes Flirc?
Flirc was set up by Jason Kotzin and his wife Maggie. It is a small company of which Jason is the only one coding for.
For more about them: http://www.flirc.tv/about_us/

Current Flirc Limitations
All young projects have their niggles, Flirc is no different.
Unfortunately, MCE remotes, which are quite prevalent amongst the XBMC users, don’t work as well as they should and are best avoided at the moment .
At a very basic level (which is my understanding of it) they emit non-standard I.R. frequencies (about 56Khz), standard frequency being 38Khz.
For more in-depth discussion on this issue please see these forum topics:
http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/9...st__p__514

This issue is being worked on, but new features for existing remotes are being added first.

The Golden Lining
A portion of every sale goes to the USC Cancer Research center that Jason's oncologists leads and where Jason underwent chemotherapy.
http://www.flirc.tv/fundraising/
Every sale of Flirc results in a donation to the charity.
As a result Flirc module is a proprietary piece of technology to ensure the charity continues to benefit from Jason’s hard work.
Jason would like to report back to XBMC users how much they have contributed to the charity, please use discount code XBMC when you purchase to allow him to track down XBMC purchases. You get the same discount as the other codes.

My XBMC Set-Up
(Complete with ghetto student look)
and

For my XBMC set-up: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=828...stcount=20
(HP adapter is what I had before I found FLIRC)

Hopefully this has helped someone.

If you have any questions about Flirc there is a forum dedicated to it (forum.flirc.tv), post any requests, problems or thanks there for friendly help (i’m Chris! on the forums there).

flirc CAN work with mce remote. mce remote have 2 codes for each button which the remote use alternately. mapping twice with each button solves the problem. you can find the details in the forum.

please edit your review.
I did say they can work with it hence:
"don’t work as well as they should and are best avoided at the moment" - as other remotes function better.
I was having the same problem until I figured out that using screen sharing seems to disable the IR now.

Kind of weird. But if you're using screen sharing turn it off and see what happens.

[EDIT:] nevermind, it wasn't screen-sharing after all. It seems only one thing can watch the built-in IR at a time and iTunes had hold of it. Exiting iTunes gave it back to xbmc.