Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xbmc send audio to airplay - ie wireless speakers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone is thinking or doing this. Where you would allow the XBMC to send the music in the library to any airplay device in the house.

e.g wireless speakers in the bedroom.

I know XBMC can now receive airplay but this is to send it.

Thanks
Would love to see this
Yeah that would be cool...
(2012-03-26, 09:29)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah that would be cool...

Wink
this would be good
+1

though I would go a step further and enable XBMC to be a DLNA control. By this you don't limit your devices only to airplay. Similar to this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101812

Cheers
+1 to this Idea, I have a 2.0 stereo setup in my main living room an my XBMC home theatre in my own bed room, I would love to plug an airport express router to the 2.0 stereo and have my XBMC music library playing on the living room. the Android RC app would allow control from all the rooms so that would be the perfect wireless solution.
Well well well...

I have just been in the bath, and as its late at night, had to turn the music down very low to avoid upsetting the neighbours... Then I thought... Wouldn't it be great if I could send my audio from xbmc plugins (or library etc) to my iPhone/iPad and use that as my speaker.

I have an app called "AirView" which sets the iPhone/iPad Into "receiver mode" (so I can AirPlay from iPhone to iPhone or iPad to iPhone etc) ... So if xbmc could send audio/video etc via AirPlay then we know for sure we can receive it already with this free app no questions asked.

Hopefully this feature will be implemented as its a very useful one indeed. Here's hoping.
(2012-04-15, 01:42)PatrickBateman Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be great if I could send my audio from xbmc plugins (or library etc) to my iPhone/iPad and use that as my speaker.

this is actually doable (for library only) the other way around.just install a DLNA client on your iPhone, and point it to XBMC.
(2012-04-15, 09:52)biGdada Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-15, 01:42)PatrickBateman Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't it be great if I could send my audio from xbmc plugins (or library etc) to my iPhone/iPad and use that as my speaker.

this is actually doable (for library only) the other way around.just install a DLNA client on your iPhone, and point it to XBMC.

Without a JB?
My device is a 4S and is on the latest iOS version which I believe is still not fully JBroken yet.
(2012-04-15, 13:24)PatrickBateman Wrote: [ -> ]Without a JB?
My device is a 4S and is on the latest iOS version which I believe is still not fully JBroken yet.

no jb needed. just google for "DLNA Client for iphone"
(2012-03-26, 09:29)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah that would be cool...

Hi Memphiz,

As you agree that this would be cool, wouldn't you be in the position to implement this, or push this request to other developers Wink

Thanks and Cheers
nope
I too would like to see such a solution. (permitting audio redirection from XBMC on Linux to networked device)

In my case I would like to use a Raspberry Pi at the receiver end (hooked up to a good old stereo) as it is a cheap and flexible way to receive audio through the network. With a proper digital to analog converter the sound is adequate (the RPi's on-board audio out has lousy S/N ratio)

I'm sharing my random thoughts on the subject just in case they might be helpful for others here.

Playing music on a Raspberry Pi using UPnP and DLNA :
http://blog.scphillips.com/2013/07/playi...revisited/

Also :
Volumio is a raspberry Pi Linux distribution purposed for hi-fi audio rendering on the network. Airplay is enabled out of the box. That might be an option.
As Volumio is somewhat based on Raspbian (as far as I can tell) one might be able to setup DLNA in parallel on it as well. (if it isn't already) Furthermore, Volumio has a multi-room capability, although achieved through some sort of mashup with an android app at the moment.

Another solution might be to use PulseAudio on the XBMC and also on the receiver end and configure it so the XBMC's pulseAudio sink is a network sink on the RPi's receving end. Though I do not know XBMC internal's enough to know if it might "speak PulseAudio" directly, one might be able to configure Alsa to PulseAudio to redirect accordingly.

I have no idea of the impacts on performance these solutions might incur but XBMC does have audio sync adjustments so in theory one could manually adjust audio delay to sync with video accordingly.

Anyhow, my 1.52 cents...

Cheers.
you know that you can stream AirPlay to XBMC? Just not the other way. So if your PI is connected to the amp you can stream from your iPhone/Pod/Pad to your PI running XBMC.
Pages: 1 2 3