Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Having TV shows and Movies in same folder.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I use XBMC on my Apple TV 2. I have one folder that all of my video torrent download files reside. I like to automate things as much as possible and I am currently using RSS feeds to automatically download tv episodes into this folder. I also manually download movies into this folder. I realized that I haven't been utilizing XBMC's "Library" to browse my files. I instead browse by files. I would like to have one Library for my movies and one library for my tv shows, but is it possible that both libraries could still use the same folder of files? Would the library automatically recognize and sort tv episodes from videos? My reasoning for wanting libraries is so that the metadata for these files would be downloaded and include nice fancy artwork and info about each tv show/ movie. Thanks
no. TV and movies have to be in separate directories/sources. For more info see Adding videos to the library (wiki).
Have you found any easy way of separating them? Or is it most likely going to have to be a manual thing?
You can use a download/library manager. Check out some of the ones listed in Category:Supplemental tools (wiki) and Supplementary Tools for XBMC forum. They'll organize everything and pretty much do all the work for you. Some take a little setting up at first, but once they are, you don't have to do much of anything.
I added the same source twice.
here is a step by step how i got it to work:

the first time i added it, I added it as a movie source.
It then asked me to refresh database I said yes.
I Waited until it was done scanning.
I added the source a second time but as a tv show,
I click automated scan.
This time though when it asked me to refresh I said no. this seems to be working here.
^ Bad idea.

I assume movies are not downloaded automatically over RSS.
And for example uTorrent has a plugin called RSS Downloader, which allows you to pick a folder (per rule / show) where all episodes should go.
Thus they can go to their <showname> folder by themselves.
if you want to automate it more:

sickbeard
couchpotato
transmission-daemon.

For sorting out a shitty mess of mixed tv show eps and movies use Sorttv.pl which is a really smart perl script that will sort out a mixed directory for you into separate directories and clean up the filenames for you perfectly.
I never managed to get sick beard working properly. I am using transmission-daemon as well. I do get some movies that show up as tv shows but other than that I have not had any issues yet.
(2012-11-14, 04:52)jmlb Wrote: [ -> ]I added the same source twice.
here is a step by step how i got it to work:

the first time i added it, I added it as a movie source.
It then asked me to refresh database I said yes.
I Waited until it was done scanning.
I added the source a second time but as a tv show,
I click automated scan.
This time though when it asked me to refresh I said no. this seems to be working here.

Hmm, while this is delicate (easy for certain situations to cause issues), that does work better than I thought it would.
Yeah I have been having a couple issues with adding more (rescanning for new movies) I ended up remapping the same folder to a different to a different samba share. and that is working perfectly it seems.
Great idea from Jmlb, works fine for me too.
*URL removed by moderator*
For those who still wondering why we would have on single directory for both, I have a download directory where I let everything coming before things being sorted
(2022-04-05, 18:30)turbomortel Wrote: [ -> ]For those who still wondering why we would have on single directory for both, I have a download directory where I let everything coming before things being sorted

From the beginning of Kodi, one directory for all content is not working. As is responding to an almost 10yr old forum thread.
Could you shed some lights please ? So far everything looks great on my side
(2022-04-05, 18:59)turbomortel Wrote: [ -> ]So far everything looks great on my side

When it comes to scraping into its libraries, Kodi has no extraterrestrial powers to see/know what is a movie and what is a TV episode, or something else. So each root folder (movies,tvshows, musicvideos) needs to have its own content setting.