Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu First time user - Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

having run and used XBMC on a Revo 3700 with windows 7 for about a year, I have decided to switch to using a a linux distro as I am having too much problem with windows. So I have taken the plunge and installed the latest release of XBMCbuntu alongside my windows install. All is working ok apart from I cannot get the machine to recognize my external USB Wireless Dongle. It finds the inbuilt one but I want to use my own one as it supports 5GHz which the inbuilt one does not and struggles to stream 1080p. The external one is a cisco AE1000 ([Ralink RT2870] and seems to be compatible with Ubuntu.

As I am a linux virgin other than changing,copying and moving directories any help here appreciated. I have no wired internet at all so not sure how to get this up and running.

I have dropped in to the root setup from the GRUB loader and attempted this procedure

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81858

but apt-get does not seem to work at all so am well and truly stuck.

Any help appreciated and remember be gentle as I have little knowledge of Linux.