Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu - userdata data from previous partition
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last night I decided to try out XBMCbuntu Eden 11.00. I have been running an older SVN build under 8.10 for quite some time. Since everything has been working with out problems, I did not feel the need to upgrade. For my 8.10 I have my hard drive partitioned as follows.

ntfs - Windows 7
ext3 - Ubuntu 8.10
ext3 - /home (this was where all my .xbmc userdata was an where i would build xbmc through svn)
swap - linux swap space
ext4 - added for XBMCbuntu Eden

As of last night i added the ext4 partition for XBMCbuntu Eden to install to. When i used to run my 8.10 version it would auto mount the ext3 /home dir which contained all my userdata. I extracted this partition out so that when i tried to upgrade to 11.10 I could just mount the same partition for my /home location keeping all the same xbmc library information with the same svn revision just built under 11.10. But now I decided to go with XBMCbutu to try it.

Now with XBMCbuntu, the /home is currently part of the new ext4 partition created at installation. I assume i can do the same thing I did before and change it to automount my ext3 /home partition to store all the data from there, but, i wanted to know how i can use my older userdata databases to import all my existing library information - such as what movies have been watched etc? I dont want it to auto-mount this ext3 and corrupt any library data?
in order for all your settings to be migrated you may reinstall and specify the ext3 partition to be mounted as /home with the advanced partitioner, and use the sale username as in Dharma. Set the partition not to be formatted ofc Wink
thanks for the quick response, but that went just a bit over my head for some reason. I guess I really just want all my previous library information. As far as the settings go in xbmc, i can just tweak them in the menus as I'm sure some of them have been deprecated or removed for sure.

Once i get the library stuff migrated over, then i can mount the partition for home i guess. I think the part that is confusing is your last sentence "Set the partition not to be formatted ofc"? Not sure what that is? I'm kinda novice with linux.
I mean do not format your previous /home or you are busted Smile
to test out the same theory as mounting the /home, can't i just copy the userdata from the ext3 (/home) partition to the new ext4 (XBMCbuntu) partition and verify that everything gets upgraded correctly? Then afterwards, just make it a permanent change by mounting my /home partition?
yes
i just tried to copy my .xbmc/userdata/Database directory over to the new XBMCbuntu installation. While all the movies show up in the library list, none of the thumbnails are there? Is there a way to get the thumbnails to show up?

EDIT: looks like i needed to copy over the Thumbnails folder as well. After doing so, it did seem to be performing slow (i.e. hide watched movies seemed to take quite some time.) I'll experiment with it more and see how everything is working.