Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Videos won't play over SMB share, fine with UPNP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Debug Log

This has only recently started happening. I built a new computer recently and, since then, my XBMC media center, which previously had had no issues whatsoever, has started not playing videos over an SMB share. It can browse network drives fine and it can scrape data for them fine, but it refuses to play. It buffers for a long time (about 2 minutes or so) and then says that playback has failed: see log for details. If I add my shares as UPNP sources (through tversity) they play absolutely fine. But that's not really an option because it's the library function that I love so much about XBMC. Also, all local videos play fine.

I thought maybe there was a network issue, but the fact that I can browse the shares and play the files over UPNP prove that theory to be wrong. Plus I've trieda tracert and a ping from the source computer to my XBMC computer and the connection has been fine.

I thought maybe it was an issue with Dharma so I Installed Eden (over my Dharma installation) and that seemed to fix the problem, but it came back again quite quickly. I then tried a complete uninstall of XBMC (including the appdata folder) but that has made no difference. The debug log above is from a completely fresh install of Eden.

I'm really at my wits end trying to figure this out. The only thing I can pull from the log (i'm not very technical when it comes to xbmc) is:

Code:
23:33:10 T:3444 WARNING: could not find codec parameters for smb://OUROBOUROS/Tv Shows/The OC/3x01 - The Aftermath.avi
23:33:11 T:3444   ERROR: CDVDFileInfo::ExtractThumb - Error creating demuxer

Anyhelp would be hugely appreciated.

UPDATE - Ok, so i just tried copying 90MB of files from my source computer to my media center and it had an average speed of 6KB/s. I switched my source computer to wireless and am now getting about 1.5MB/s. I'm going to try now to see if XBMC will stream files. Strange that my ping was fine but my speed was so ludicroulsy slow.

UPDATE 2 - Ok, so it appears it's now working with both computers over wireless (previously my source computer was connected to the router by cable and the media center by wireless). I'm assuming a faulty cable or something funky with my network drivers.

UPDATE 3 - Hmm, it seems now that every time my Media Center computer reboots, my other computer fails to see it on the network once it is up again. A restart of my wireless card fixes the problem but it's puzzling to say the least...

UPDATE 4 - So even though I'm the only one writing anything, I thought I would keep this updated if anyone goes through similar issues. My network issues were caused by my computer essentially having two ip addresses assigned it by the DHCP server. It would get confused and freak out when my media center tried to stream anything from it because it would be searching for both 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.114 and so it would throw up "destination host unreachable" errors.
I would be interested to know more.
Like how did you determine it had 2 ip addresses assigned?
What program or command gave you the "destination host unreachable" errors?
And how did you fix this?