Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Thinking about XBMC, have some questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently purchased an Apple TV and I'm considering jailbreaking it and installing XBMC (once it's updated for the latest ATV). I do have a few questions first, though.

I love XBMC's layout, but playing around with it, I haven't found a way to edit the metadata. With iTunes, I can edit the metadata, add my own cover artwork, and do other things like arrange how the movies are sorted. Is there a way to do this with XBMC? I do like a lot of the cover artwork XBMC locates, but there are some I'd like to change myself. And I'd especially like the option to sort the videos according to my own specifications. For example, with the X-Men movies, I want to list them all in chronological order, so in iTunes I have them sorted as X-Men: First Class (sort name: X-Men 1), X-Men Origins: Wolverine (sort name: X-Men 2), X-Men (sort name: X-Men 3), X2: X-Men United (sort name: X-Men 4), and X-Men: The Last Stand (sort name: X-Men 5). Is there a way to do this in XBMC?

Also, can XBMC be used to view videos on the Internet? I live overseas but watch MSNBC, and at the moment I can only watch the shows by hooking my computer to my TV. I'd like to eliminate this step and just use the ATV to visit the MSNBC site to view the videos.

Thanks for any help.
You might want to grab a metadata editor like Ember for editing your artwork and metadata.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116941

But you can also edit the artwork from within XBMC by pressing 'i' on the mvoie you want to edit. From the movie info screen you will have options for editing the artwork. Also might want to grab the artwork downloader addon to assist with this process.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114633

As far as watching videos on the net - there are a variety of video addons such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, YouTube and a number of others. Check out the video addons section.
Thanks! And if there's a problem or if I want to go back to Apple TV's old settings, can I restore it to the factory settings?
just do a restore through itunes, you'll be good
Thank you for the quick response. Now I just have to be patient to wait for the updates.
Living overseas may make it problematic for plugins like amazon prime, hulu, and such. Some of these sites are region locked.
I've got a proxy that allows me to use services like Netflix and Vudu without a problem, but thanks for the head's up.