Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMCbuntu video driver selection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody, I'm a noob so please bare with me on this. I'm having troubles with my new install of XBMCbunto 11 Eden being terribly jerky and unusable (installed on hdd).

I think I've worked out what is wrong but I have no idea how to fix it. The problem is being caused by the video driver defaulting to the Rasterizer one and maxing out the CPU every time I boot straight to XBMC. The strange thing that I have noticed is that if I exit XBMC and log straight back into it from the ubuntu login screen the video driver changes to Gallium 0.4 ATI RC410 and everything is fine.

Does anyone know how I can get XBMC to select the correct driver when it boots?

Again, I am a noob so please be gentle and thanks in advance!
Exactly the same issue for me. Have a new XBMCbuntu install running at 1.3fps, totally unusable, so I think the problem is the video driver for the old (but perfectly adequate for the job) ATI Radeon 9800 card I used to build the HTPC. Any pointers in updating the XBMC video driver would be most appreciated.

PS: Also a Linux noob here, so go easy on us please, lol!
(2012-05-09, 09:43)HeadCase1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly the same issue for me. Have a new XBMCbuntu install running at 1.3fps, totally unusable, so I think the problem is the video driver for the old (but perfectly adequate for the job) ATI Radeon 9800 card I used to build the HTPC. Any pointers in updating the XBMC video driver would be most appreciated.

PS: Also a Linux noob here, so go easy on us please, lol!

Bump -- I have this exact issue, not sure how to move forward (Radeon 9800)
You cant obtain full hardware rasterizing by installing this package : libgl1-glx-mesa-experimental
I don't remember if you can find it with natty stock install whereas you can add the ppa of xorg-edgers, but in this way you have to upgrade every packages with this ppa before installing the libgl1-glx-mesa-experimental .
Had the same problems, solution for me was this.