Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ripped Blu-Ray video playback jumpy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It doesn't seem to happen with all movies, but it's very noticeable with Band of Brothers. I ripped the full Blu-Ray using pass-through video and audio with DVDFab. So it's the full size .mkv - around 25 GB.

I am streaming it from a NAS box. During playback I checked utilization on CPU and memory on both the NAS and the HTPC. NAS CPU utilization was very low (3-4%). The memory use was also very low. On the HTPC (Windows 7) box the CPU ran at about 40% and the memory was somewhere in the middle (I have 4GB total). The network throughput topped out around 40% or 40Mbps. It's a 100Mbps link.

The only thing left that I could think of which might cause it was a limitation of SMB sharing. So last night I installed the Windows 7 native NFS client and mounted an NFS share from the NAS. I played it again and it's still having the same issue.

Basically, about every second or two the video will skip forward a split second. There's no pixelation or anything, but it's not smooth. The audio comes across just fine.

Any other thoughts at what I should be looking at? I like the full size rips because I had trouble finding a bit rate that would still look good consistently.
Doesn't sound like the file is having trouble getting to your computer but your computer is having trouble playing it.

Is hardware acceleration on?
Also a debug_log (wiki) submitted to pastebin the a link posted in this thread would tell you more about what is going on.
Here you go:

http://pastebin.com/bwBsFHtn

Are you referring to hardware acceleration on the video card? I'll have to dig to see if I can figure out where to check that.

Thanks for your help.
try ftp
(2012-04-03, 20:02)pseudo7 Wrote: [ -> ]Doesn't sound like the file is having trouble getting to your computer but your computer is having trouble playing it.

Is hardware acceleration on?
Also a debug_log (wiki) submitted to pastebin the a link posted in this thread would tell you more about what is going on.

I found this http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...or_Windows
and turned it on. When I did I didn't see any audio, only video. I have an AMD Radeon HD 6530.

(2012-04-03, 20:44)kedda Wrote: [ -> ]try ftp

I don't think it's the sharing protocol otherwise I should have seen improvement going to NFS.
Anyone else have any ideas? I was thinking that it's probably not a software decoding delay because if it was my CPU should be at 100%. So it seems like whether the decoding is hardware accelerated or not shouldn't matter as I still have resources to spare.
To rule out streaming issue, can you playback the same movie using USB drive?
Yes, copy movie to local cpu and see if it plays good there. If it does, then your network is the issue, or at least drivers for the network. I do know realtek drivers are garbage. My drivers are 2 years old or so, just because they work, and everytime I try to upgrade them, I also get the choppy playback (I play from windows home server, full 1080p with HD audio track mkvs)