Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to get ratings to write back to ID3 on MySQL DB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,
I have a MySQL DB setup for use with XBMC. I'm wondering if XBMC writes its ratings (1-5 stars for each song) back to the ID3 tag or not - having tested it seems not but is there a setting somewhere I'm missing to allow it to write the rating back to the ID3 ? I know they get written to the MySQL DB but it'd be rather handy for it to write back to the ID3 as well in case my DB becomes corrupt (I dont really want to lose all my ratings!)

Many thanks
Ross
XBMC does not write ID3 tags period.
sounds like a good idea for a plugin.
thanks jonathan. Is there some reasoning behind this? I (by default) went down the ID3 route for my music collection out of ignorance, however if there is a better solution out there i'd love to know about it.

my thoughts are really that I'd like to have consistent access to ratings, info etc over multiple platforms. currently having a database that is "closed" so-to-speak to my other music reading applications is not quite what im after.

many thanks
ross

ps yep, a plugin to export the ratings from XBMC to the ID3 tags would be an acceptable solution as well, as it's only when i have to wipe my DB that I lose all the info - if i were to export prior to wiping, that would be fine Smile
Basically it's due to us not wanting to screw up the users' collection. Writing ID3 tags (and any other tags) means modifying your media files. We think that generally other apps are better for this.