Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HIS 6570 Silence 1GB - Over 100°C in FurMark?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi
I bought a HIS 6570 Silence 1GB because I wanted something more powerful than a HD 6450 but still passively cooled and low profile. I'm pretty happy with the performance in PCSX2 (much better than the HD 6450) but when I wanted to do a burn in test in FurMark the temperature reached 100°C within 3 minutes. I stopped the test after that. A little while later I ran FurMark again but with the HTPC case opened with the same result.

For HTPC tasks the temperature is between 70 and 80°C. In PCSX2 it's about the same.

The temperature of my XFX HD 6450 did never reach 80°C in FurMark even if it was running for more than 30 minutes. I understand that the 6570 is more powerful and generates more heat but I'm afraid that it's defective because it reaches the 100°C so fast. What do you guys think?

You mean HIS? The XFX HD 6450 is working fine.
well HIS sorry, i have the XFX too, maybe thats why Tongue
Ok.Big Grin

Do you think it's defective?
Do you have any fans blowing on it? Just because it's passively cool does not mean it shouldn't have any air flowing over it.
No, just the exhaust fans on the back of the case. It's not possible to install more fans in the case.
I had that one.... same thing here.... I wrote about it on my build. First one also 100F and the second one the same thing! they are defective. I talked to a HIS Rep he told me they should not go over 90F ....

It suppose to be 50-68F

I will never buy HIS again.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107562
(2012-04-05, 23:14)Carb0 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok.Big Grin

Do you think it's defective?

I would definitely investigate further, I don't think 100c is normal within 3min. Although I don't use FurMark, I do use MSI Kombuster for stress testing my HIS 6570. I do the 15min burn-in and temps don't reach past 75c. When idle, temps are 40-45c and while playing a standard 1080p vid around 60-65c tops. My bud Beer40oz went through the same issues with his HIS 6570, and eventually RMA'd. I figure I may have just got lucky with mine.

Let me ask you this... What kind of case do you have it in and what type of ventilation are you getting into your case....fans ect? SFF cases may elevate your temps, but your situation seems extraordinary!
(2012-04-05, 20:40)Carb0 Wrote: [ -> ]HIS 6570 Silence 1GB ... passively cooled ... do a burn in test in FurMark the temperature reached 100°C within 3 minutes.

For HTPC tasks the temperature is between 70 and 80°C. In PCSX2 it's about the same.

... What do you guys think?

(2012-04-05, 23:18)lrusak Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any fans blowing on it? Just because it's passively cool does not mean it shouldn't have any air flowing over it.
No, just the exhaust fans on the back of the case. It's not possible to install more fans in the case.

As Irusak has said, just because it is a passively cooled card, doesn't mean it doesn't need any air flow. If you have poor air flow in the case, this thing is going to heat up a lot. For a card that is getting poor air flow, 70-80°C in application is to be expected. FurMark is, as you stated, a burn in test. It is designed for overclockers who want to make sure their system will run in any situation. It has carefully selected the rendered images to maximise heat production - it is not an accurate representation of what games will do to the card. Getting 100°C on a effectively un-cooled card in an artificial heat test does not surprise me.

Quote:... Do you think it's defective?
Your card is not defective. If the cooling was defective, the card temperature would increase over much shorter times than 3 minutes; the 3 minutes is how long it is taking to heat up the passive heat sink. Unfortunately, due to the lack of airflow, this heat isn't going anywhere.

You need better airflow in your case. I don't believe that there is no way to install more fans. The only fan in my HTPC is held in a custom rig made of cardboard and electrical tape. There is always a way.

It should be simple to attach a low noise fan blowing at the card. I don't think it will take much. I should be able to come up with some more specific suggestions if you tell me what case you're using and the fans currently installed (though I'm away until Tuesday)
I have a Moneual Moncaso 320. It has only 3 50mm exhaust fans. It certainly dosen't have the best ventilation but the card reaches 100C even if I remove the top cover.
Fanless GPU typically run hotter than GPU with fan, and 100°C is too hot. If you have a mini-itx case with very poor ventilation, it might not be good for a fanless GPU. You'll need a case with good ventilation and an inlet case fan for it to stay cool......
The HD 6450 that was installed before didn't reach such high temperatures and it was passively cooled too.
Assuming that you GPU is in a similar position to that in the internal pictures on this forum, there's loads of room there for another fan. If you don't have one kicking around, move a couple of the exhaust fans to blow at the card.

Though as you said, the fact that removing the lid doesn't help is a bit odd ... maybe I was a bit overconfident when I said it wasn't faulty ... we'll see.
I don't have that much room because I also have a blu ray drive and a tv tuner installed. The GPU is in the same position as in the pictures and there are 2 pcie slots free between the GPU and the tv tuner.
Pages: 1 2