Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pre Installation Q - VPNs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I started using Plex as my first media center solution but I am having a lot of trouble with it.
The reason, it appears from investigating on the Plex forums, is because I am using a VPN to access HULU etc as I am currently working overseas for a few months. (Plex will not find my content folders when the VPN is active but is fine when the VPN is inactive)

I want to try XBMC to see if its any better but before I do I wanted to check with forum members to see if they are aware of similar issues with XBMC?

Any help or direction towards relevant threads would be appreciated.
I presume a full uninstall of Plex (including preference directories) would be recommended before installing XBMC?

Thanks

Richard

FYI - Using a 2011 Mac mini - all content will be stored on the Mm for now.
If your VPN changes your IP and gateway information, you're not going to be able to access anything on your LAN. You have a couple options. I use unblock-us.com to access stuff in the states, and all you have to change for that to work is your DNS. Alternatively you could add a second network card to your computer, and VPN through one card, and access your local content through the other one.