Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stream desktop / XBMC to DLNA (or uPNP)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Is it possible (through DLNA or uPNP) to stream my desktop (and thus XBMC) to my AC Ryan PlayON HD? It acts like a DLNA / uPNP client.
I've tried VLC but I cannot stream to a uPNP destination..

Thanks
Using screen capturing software, yes.
(2012-04-12, 23:05)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Using screen capturing software, yes.

Could you tell me what software I should use? I am aware of PlayOn but that doesn't stream my desktop.. I've googled the whole evening to no avail :-(
I know it's possible in theory, but I've yet to see an easy solution. One set up I can see work is if you screen record with any given screen recording software, then just attempt to transcode the recorded file as it is being written. I don't know how nicely that will play with most transcoding servers, though.
I am about to implement something like this (using a directshow desktop capture https://github.com/rdp/screen-capture-re...ndows-free).

Do you have any hints/clues as to ways to get 'that stream" from a windows box "to XBMC"?

ffmpeg can accept the stream (and optionally transcode it), and or stream it to something like tcp://hostname:port (I presume this is like a push model) or stream it to udp://hostname:port or save a local file. Would any of those work?

If not then ffmpeg could "save" a file locally, and then I suppose another option would be to create a ps3ms plugin that saves and streams the file (or I could setup VLC as a server and attach to that). Any hints/ideas/suggestions/"best approach for the long term" here?