Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Library watchdog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd highly recommend not installing this on Frodo. It slowed all of my addons down to a crawl. For example, clicking on menu items in any video addon took over a minute to load the next pages. I timed the YouTube addon, and loading any YouTube video took almost 4-1/2 minutes to start playing a video. Uninstalling this addon made all the slow downs go away. I"m not sure what it's doing in the background, but it has a profound effect on the performance of addons.
Stop the fud and be helpful and post a debug log instead. This addon is in no way capable of causing that kind of impact, under normal operation ofc. And you're the first one to report it.
(2013-02-16, 13:33)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]That is very strange indeed. Never seen anything like it. Can you try to map your key to exactly the string "UpdateLibrary(video,smb://192.168.120.178/Media/TV Shows/)"? That's what the script is sending. And try to add an even longer delay, like a couple of min. Just for the sake of confirming it's not caching trouble.

I set my keyboard.xml to this:
Code:
<keymap>
<global>
   <keyboard>
     <one mod='alt'>UpdateLibrary(video,smb://192.168.120.178/Media/TV Shows/)</one>
     <two mod='alt'>UpdateLibrary(video)</two>
     <nine mod='alt'>Quit()</nine>
   </keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

As you can see, alt+1 scans with the path argument like your addon does and alt+2 scans with no path argument.

I added an episode and watch dog didn't find it, pressed alt+1 and didn't find it, finally pressed alt+2 and found it.
Check out the log: log file
You can see the 3 different scans and how the first two didn't find anything but the third did.
This is beginning to look more like a problem with the UpdateLibrary function. What do you think?
(2013-02-16, 14:00)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-14, 17:14)bobbintb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice add-on but I do have a question. If I use an NFS share mounted on the OS level in conjunction with the add-on but the NFS share is not always available, will that cause issues like the library being deleted? My server that contains my media is not always on when XBMC is on. So since this add-on cleans up items, if I turn on XBMC and the network share is not available, will it clean up the library and then start from scratch once the share is available or will it just sit and wait for the network share to become available?

You can turn off the cleaning. It's off by default.

well, the thing is, i do want it to clean because sickbeard frequently upgrades the quality of shows and i don't want deleted shows remaining in the library. but if setting watchdog to clean while the share is not mounted will result in it cleaning everything then i will just manually clean. i just wanted to know one way or the other.
ignore me im a retard. ^^
Ive found recently that it doesnt always scan new media coming in. sometimes when i know something has been downloaded and should be in there, it isnt. i then have to manually update the library, anyone else had this?
(2013-02-17, 21:32)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]Stop the fud and be helpful and post a debug log instead. This addon is in no way capable of causing that kind of impact, under normal operation ofc. And you're the first one to report it.

i will post a debug log later but i have had nfs shares CRIPPLED whilst running watchdog! to the point that videos buffers over network etc... youtube videos will not stream!

i will post a log later but i had to disable watchdog aswell until i get chance to investigate properly...
(2013-02-20, 01:42)xombiemp Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-16, 13:33)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]That is very strange indeed. Never seen anything like it. Can you try to map your key to exactly the string "UpdateLibrary(video,smb://192.168.120.178/Media/TV Shows/)"? That's what the script is sending. And try to add an even longer delay, like a couple of min. Just for the sake of confirming it's not caching trouble.

I set my keyboard.xml to this:
Code:
<keymap>
<global>
   <keyboard>
     <one mod='alt'>UpdateLibrary(video,smb://192.168.120.178/Media/TV Shows/)</one>
     <two mod='alt'>UpdateLibrary(video)</two>
     <nine mod='alt'>Quit()</nine>
   </keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

As you can see, alt+1 scans with the path argument like your addon does and alt+2 scans with no path argument.

I added an episode and watch dog didn't find it, pressed alt+1 and didn't find it, finally pressed alt+2 and found it.
Check out the log: log file
You can see the 3 different scans and how the first two didn't find anything but the third did.
This is beginning to look more like a problem with the UpdateLibrary function. What do you think?

Good. Then we at least know where the problem is. I will investigate, but it's really weird because if I do the same thing as you, it works just fine.

(2013-02-20, 06:10)bobbintb Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-16, 14:00)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-02-14, 17:14)bobbintb Wrote: [ -> ]Nice add-on but I do have a question. If I use an NFS share mounted on the OS level in conjunction with the add-on but the NFS share is not always available, will that cause issues like the library being deleted? My server that contains my media is not always on when XBMC is on. So since this add-on cleans up items, if I turn on XBMC and the network share is not available, will it clean up the library and then start from scratch once the share is available or will it just sit and wait for the network share to become available?
You can turn off the cleaning. It's off by default.
well, the thing is, i do want it to clean because sickbeard frequently upgrades the quality of shows and i don't want deleted shows remaining in the library. but if setting watchdog to clean while the share is not mounted will result in it cleaning everything then i will just manually clean. i just wanted to know one way or the other.
The clean in the addon is exactly the same as the clean function in xbmc, i.e it's global and will clear unavailable media as well. That's the only way currently.

(2013-02-21, 12:14)jjmucker Wrote: [ -> ]Ive found recently that it doesnt always scan new media coming in. sometimes when i know something has been downloaded and should be in there, it isnt. i then have to manually update the library, anyone else had this?
Try increasing the delay setting. If that doesn't work, read first post
just kicked up XBMC, and getting an error: scrip failed, watchdog.
Does it work with USB HDD with media (using Raspberry Pi)?
Yes it should work. Please read the first post if you have any trouble.
Its just stopped working for me for some reason. Script failed error?
I read it.
Should I do the eden process?
I couldnt make it work (out of the box with frodo)
Please confirm that I should only install or make any othe process like on Eden

Ps: using raspberry
Thanks
(2013-02-22, 21:22)fernandovg Wrote: [ -> ]I read it.
Should I do the eden process?
I couldnt make it work (out of the box with frodo)
Please confirm that I should only install or make any othe process like on Eden

Ps: using raspberry
Thanks

Huh? No the eden part is for eden only and the only part that mentions eden is about network shares. You have problem with a normal usb hdd right? What kind of device it is should matter and should all work, and usb hdd are know to work fine. That's why I'm thinking it's probably something else completely unrelated. A debug log will show all that, that's the part in the OP I was referring to.

(2013-02-22, 18:52)jjmucker Wrote: [ -> ]Its just stopped working for me for some reason. Script failed error?

No need to spam. Read the first post. The last one reported that it was because he didn't have read permission. Only the log knows, but it's OS related for sure.
Im not spamming.
In any case, I fixed it. I had to uninstall it AND delete the actual watchdog folder from userdata folder. I then reinstalled it.
Working fine now.