Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Library watchdog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I enable Watchdog on Gotham Beta 1 in Windows, XBMC locks up on exit and spawns an error window. I'm happy to provide debug lugs but I wanted to know if Watchdog is even supported for my specific configuration, namely a client running Gotham accessing a shared MySQL 5.6 database with networked shares.

Is there something I have to modify to allow Watchdog to work with my configuration or is this just a bug (in which case I'll post debug logs)?

Client:
Gotham Beta 1
Running MySQL 5.6 shared DB on this machine
Windows 7 x86
Core i3 @ 3.2 Ghz
4 GB RAM

Content is hosted on a 4U rackmount server running WHS 2011 with a 24 TB FlexRAID array.
I installed Gotham today, and i've installed Watchdog right away.
Love the add-on, and i have always used it without any problems with Frodo.
But unfortunately with Gotham i have the issue that Watchdog keeps scanning all the time, while there isn't anything added to my folders.
Is this a known bug?
Is there a update coming that addresses this issue?
(2014-03-13, 23:55)AeronNL Wrote: [ -> ]I installed Gotham today, and i've installed Watchdog right away.
But unfortunately with Gotham i have the issue that Watchdog keeps scanning all the time, while there isn't anything added to my folders.
Is this a known bug?

Enable debugging and check the log. The specific files that trigger the scans are logged.

(2014-02-02, 14:19)markystarky Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the server is left on and it works fine, however I restarted the server and when it shutdown Watchdog cleaned the Movies and TV Shows libraries out to nothing but not the Music. When the server booted up again Watchdog did nothing and I had to 'set content' to get them back.
This is a rare circumstance as the server is rarely rebooted, however I wondered if this was a bug, normal operation or something strange in my system?

(2014-02-21, 01:50)Bazzu85 Wrote: [ -> ]When using wathdog if M: and P: are not connected plugin clean library off film and tvshows..

That's because xbmc doesn't know the difference between "deleted" and just "unavailable" sources. I believe the ability to have off-line sources (such that they aren't removed from the library on clean) is a feature in Gotham.
(2014-03-14, 13:00)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-13, 23:55)AeronNL Wrote: [ -> ]I installed Gotham today, and i've installed Watchdog right away.
Is this a known bug?

Enable debugging and check the log. The specific files that trigger the scans are logged.

(2014-02-02, 14:19)markystarky Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the server is left on and it works fine, however I restarted the server and when it shutdown Watchdog cleaned the Movies and TV Shows libraries out to nothing but not the Music. When the server booted up again Watchdog did nothing and I had to 'set content' to get them back.
This is a rare circumstance as the server is rarely rebooted, however I wondered if this was a bug, normal operation or something strange in my system?

(2014-02-21, 01:50)Bazzu85 Wrote: [ -> ]When using wathdog if M: and P: are not connected plugin clean library off film and tvshows..

That's because xbmc doesn't know the difference between "deleted" and just "unavailable" sources. I believe the ability to have off-line sources (such that they aren't removed from the library on clean) is a feature in Gotham.

now I don't use junction..
I've films in Q:

when I enable watchdog there's a warning that Q:\film is not found..

but after a automatic clean he removed all films on Q from the database..
is it a bug?

months ago if the warning about device not connected appeared, when cleaning library he doesn't touch record on disconnected source..

edit_
I'm using frodo 12.3

edit2:

here's the log

15:09:03 T:1404 NOTICE: CVideoDatabase::CleanDatabase: Starting videodatabase cleanup ..
15:10:06 T:5380 NOTICE: Thread Jobworker start, auto delete: true
15:11:29 T:1404 NOTICE: CVideoDatabase::CleanDatabase: Cleaning videodatabase done. Operation took 02:26

my question is:
why I've to use wathdog if the cleaning method is the same as the "Clean library" in xmbc options?
I've film in 3 usb drive not everytime connected..
I'm a little confused on exactly how I should configure watchdog in my situation.

I am running raspbmc and I mount one of my shares via NFS automatically so that the path to the source works through the root filesystem like this:

/media/nfs-foo/TV
/media/nfs-foo/Movies

I am running latest raspbmc so I am on Frodo. Do I leave it as Auto or set it to Polling?

At the moment neither seems to work for me? Do I need to add those paths as a file manager source, too? So far I only added those sources through the Videos section.
Hello

I just updated my system from frodo to gotham (openelec beta2) and I have tried to get the watchdog addon to work but it simply just dosent search. This is my configuration:

FreeNAS running 1 smb share with all the media on it, music, shows and movies, same setup as on Frodo.

I have the different media in different catalogs, the different catalogs have been mapped in xbmc to their respective types.

I have installed watchdog addon, but the problem is that it does not scan, or does not recognize when I add something to any of the different catalogs. On Frodo with the same setup this was never an issue, I moved the show from my download folder to the movie folder and it was instantly recognized and availabel ithe movie library.

What am I doing wrong?
Edit, wrong post Smile
(2014-03-26, 02:02)aiko Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little confused on exactly how I should configure watchdog in my situation.

I am running raspbmc and I mount one of my shares via NFS automatically so that the path to the source works through the root filesystem like this:

/media/nfs-foo/TV
/media/nfs-foo/Movies

I am running latest raspbmc so I am on Frodo. Do I leave it as Auto or set it to Polling?

At the moment neither seems to work for me? Do I need to add those paths as a file manager source, too? So far I only added those sources through the Videos section.

(2014-03-26, 14:14)pomah Wrote: [ -> ]Hello

I just updated my system from frodo to gotham (openelec beta2) and I have tried to get the watchdog addon to work but it simply just dosent search. This is my configuration:

FreeNAS running 1 smb share with all the media on it, music, shows and movies, same setup as on Frodo.

I have the different media in different catalogs, the different catalogs have been mapped in xbmc to their respective types.

I have installed watchdog addon, but the problem is that it does not scan, or does not recognize when I add something to any of the different catalogs. On Frodo with the same setup this was never an issue, I moved the show from my download folder to the movie folder and it was instantly recognized and availabel ithe movie library.

What am I doing wrong?

No such issues here. You both need to post a proper debug log if you want it looked into. There's nothing I can do without it. I'm working on an update for Gotham, so now is a good time to report any bugs.
(2014-04-03, 11:12)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]No such issues here. You both need to post a proper debug log if you want it looked into. There's nothing I can do without it. I'm working on an update for Gotham, so now is a good time to report any bugs.

Hi Takoi.

First of all, I've always been a happy user of watchdog. I could not believe that xbmc didn't have such functionality built-in!
I always leave my pc on as it also functions as my sab/torrent server and I never close xbmc.

At night all kind of stuff gets downloaded and added to the appropiate folders. Watchdog detects this and all is good Smile

However, with Gotham for some reason the library cleaning that gets triggered is a lot slower, and the final few % seem to freeze, and so does the movie you are watching.
Also, is it possible to add an option to hide this progress at all? especially when watching a video is quite annoying. Although I don't know if that is something that needs to be hidden in XBMC itself, this option is not available in xbmc (Frodo and Gotham).

I tried enabling logging in xbmc to see what triggers the cleansing, but what do I need to look for exactly in the log?
(2014-04-03, 12:23)latino156 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried enabling logging in xbmc to see what triggers the cleansing, but what do I need to look for exactly in the log?
just post it on xbmclogs.com and I'll tell youSmile Just make sure you have "Enable debug logging" on and have restarted xbmc

(2014-04-03, 12:23)latino156 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is it possible to add an option to hide this progress at all? especially when watching a video is quite annoying. Although I don't know if that is something that needs to be hidden in XBMC itself, this option is not available in xbmc (Frodo and Gotham).

Unfortunately it's not possible to hide it, but it shouldn't clean or scan during playback nevertheless. There's a setting in the add-on for it ("Pause on playback")
(2014-04-03, 13:23)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-04-03, 12:23)latino156 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried enabling logging in xbmc to see what triggers the cleansing, but what do I need to look for exactly in the log?
just post it on xbmclogs.com and I'll tell youSmile Just make sure you have "Enable debug logging" on and have restarted xbmc

awww, I just reverted back to Frodo (also bc of superior handling of subtitles).

(2014-04-03, 12:23)latino156 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, is it possible to add an option to hide this progress at all? especially when watching a video is quite annoying. Although I don't know if that is something that needs to be hidden in XBMC itself, this option is not available in xbmc (Frodo and Gotham).

(2014-04-03, 13:23)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately it's not possible to hide it, but it shouldn't clean or scan during playback nevertheless. There's a setting in the add-on for it ("Pause on playback")

OMG! I assumed that meant that it would actually pause the playback! Big Grin
Ok, this will solve my problem then (wife whining about the cleaning displayed :p
Thanks!
(2014-04-03, 11:12)takoi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-03-26, 02:02)aiko Wrote: [ -> ]I'm a little confused on exactly how I should configure watchdog in my situation.

/media/nfs-foo/TV
/media/nfs-foo/Movies

(2014-03-26, 14:14)pomah Wrote: [ -> ]Hello

What am I doing wrong?

No such issues here. You both need to post a proper debug log if you want it looked into. There's nothing I can do without it. I'm working on an update for Gotham, so now is a good time to report any bugs.

I did a debug and saw that for some reason the watchdog did not have any video sources to watch, so I added those again and now it works as it should. Weird issues since I had the videos pop up under the right catalogs in xbmc. But now it works. Thanks for the help.
New version 0.8.0beta1 for Gotham only. This contains some quite big changes to the code base,
so I would appreciate feedback from platforms i don't have available (Windows, OSX/iOS, Pi and other obscure ones.)

Changes:
- added settings for manually selecting folders to watch
- added setting for changing network polling interval
- added dialog for add-on start up progress
- fix inotify not working on android
- improved startup and shutdown performance
- many minor performance and stability improvements

Download zip
Download zip (0.8.0beta2)
Gotham only also means you must change
PHP Code:
<import addon="xbmc.python"              version="2.1.0"/>