Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Library watchdog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Using newest version with Nightly builds of Kodi for Windows x64 draws a lot of cpu while idling.
(2020-08-25, 21:07)snyft Wrote: [ -> ]Using newest version with Nightly builds of Kodi for Windows x64 draws a lot of cpu while idling.
The person who migrated this to Matrix asked me to take a look (he's more of a C++ person, Python is more my thing).  I think whatever the issue is in in the actual Watchdog module (which is an outside module for which this addon is basically just a wrapper). I'm going to try updating the Watchdog module to the current version to see if that helps. In the meantime, I found that if you change the advanced setting for network share polling internal from 4 seconds to 30 seconds (or more) that the CPU usage goes down significantly.
(2020-08-29, 19:52)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]The person who migrated this to Matrix asked me to take a look (he's more of a C++ person, Python is more my thing).  I think whatever the issue is in in the actual Watchdog module (which is an outside module for which this addon is basically just a wrapper). I'm going to try updating the Watchdog module to the current version to see if that helps. In the meantime, I found that if you change the advanced setting for network share polling internal from 4 seconds to 30 seconds (or more) that the CPU usage goes down significantly.
Do you think you can get it to work with LibreELEC 9.2.3 (Leia)? The issue is that it constantly triggers a library update, as well as artwork beef is also constantly scanning.

Regards,

Shedrock
(2020-08-29, 21:25)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-29, 19:52)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]The person who migrated this to Matrix asked me to take a look (he's more of a C++ person, Python is more my thing).  I think whatever the issue is in in the actual Watchdog module (which is an outside module for which this addon is basically just a wrapper). I'm going to try updating the Watchdog module to the current version to see if that helps. In the meantime, I found that if you change the advanced setting for network share polling internal from 4 seconds to 30 seconds (or more) that the CPU usage goes down significantly.
Do you think you can get it to work with LibreELEC 9.2.3 (Leia)? The issue is that it constantly triggers a library update, as well as artwork beef is also constantly scanning.

Regards,

Shedrock
The script is mostly just a wrapper for Watchdog, which is maintained completely outside Kodi and used for lots of different things.  It can be very finicky (in my personal experience), is reacting to external things that we can't control, and behaves differently on different platforms.  So I think that's a really long way of saying "probably not." If you are having an issue with both watchdog and artwork beef, you may want to look into what's causing both of those things to think there have been updates (I don't actually know much about artwork beef, so it's possible watchdog's library update is causing artwork beef's downloads).

Even having said all that, if you can provide a link to a Kodi debug log with the behavior, I can try and take a look.
(2020-08-29, 23:39)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]Even having said all that, if you can provide a link to a Kodi debug log with the behavior, I can try and take a look.
Thanks @pkscout. I will try to upload my log when I get in from work tonight. Much appreciated.

Shedrock
(2020-08-29, 19:52)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-08-25, 21:07)snyft Wrote: [ -> ]Using newest version with Nightly builds of Kodi for Windows x64 draws a lot of cpu while idling.
The person who migrated this to Matrix asked me to take a look (he's more of a C++ person, Python is more my thing).  I think whatever the issue is in in the actual Watchdog module (which is an outside module for which this addon is basically just a wrapper). I'm going to try updating the Watchdog module to the current version to see if that helps. In the meantime, I found that if you change the advanced setting for network share polling internal from 4 seconds to 30 seconds (or more) that the CPU usage goes down significantly.
Great to see some activity, thanks for your time! 
Will test if it makes any difference because i have all media locally.
@pkscout 

Sorry it took me so long to upload the log file. This is in regards to the following post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2973381

Here is my log file. I could not get it to save on many of the pastebin sites because I believe it is too large.

https://mega.nz/file/BTpVgaJZ#yrFBDbU2R-...Km9qEU0P60

Regards,

Shedrock
(2020-10-03, 15:07)shedrock Wrote: [ -> ]@pkscout 

Sorry it took me so long to upload the log file. This is in regards to the following post: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2973381

Here is my log file. I could not get it to save on many of the pastebin sites because I believe it is too large.

https://mega.nz/file/BTpVgaJZ#yrFBDbU2R-...Km9qEU0P60

Regards,

Shedrock

Unfortunately I don't think I've got any help to offer. The log shows a large series of delete events being detected for /storage/movies (honestly, it looks like watchdog thinks that entire directory has been deleted) followed by an equally large series of create events for that same directory (/storage/movies), and that's what's triggering the library updates. If this is an external drive or a mounted network drive, the only thing I can figure is that the OS is having trouble keeping it mounted, so it looks to watchdog like it disappears and reappears. You might need to check on some forums that can provide specific help for that OS.
(2020-10-04, 04:24)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately I don't think I've got any help to offer. The log shows a large series of delete events being detected for /storage/movies (honestly, it looks like watchdog thinks that entire directory has been deleted) followed by an equally large series of create events for that same directory (/storage/movies), and that's what's triggering the library updates. If this is an external drive or a mounted network drive, the only thing I can figure is that the OS is having trouble keeping it mounted, so it looks to watchdog like it disappears and reappears. You might need to check on some forums that can provide specific help for that OS.
Thanks for looking at it. Watchdog does work with LibreELEC 9.0.2, but anything after that just makes it go crazy. It is unfortunate that the original author gave up on it, and I never understood why Kodi never implemented this into their code. All the other substitutes can't compare to it. Anyway, I will just keep doing manual scans because over on the LE forums they very rarely give any support.

Thank you @pkscout. I am very grateful for your assistance.

Regards,

Shedrock
(2020-07-12, 20:13)mlac Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys! Unfortunately, this add-on doesn't update my library when adding new files. I'm running Kodi on an Nvidia Shield, and my library resides on my Linux PC which is shared with the Shield via SMB. Whenever a new file gets added to my library, nothing is detected by Kodi even though this plugin is installled. I had to strip my kodi.log in the middle to be able to upload it because my library is too large. Any help is much appreciated.
+1
whoops
(2020-12-19, 23:44)Portisch Wrote: [ -> ]https://github.com/tamland/xbmc-addon-watchdog/pull/17
@takoi
Possible to download this somewhere?
(2021-01-04, 00:42)snyft Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-12-19, 23:44)Portisch Wrote: [ -> ]https://github.com/tamland/xbmc-addon-watchdog/pull/17
@takoi
Possible to download this somewhere?
https://github.com/tamland/xbmc-addon-watchdog
The latest version which runs on Matrix is here: https://github.com/phunkyfish/xbmc-addon-watchdog

I'm the guy who migrated it from the old version but I'm not really a python guy. I love this add-on though, I've always used it.