Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on an ssd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a spare ssd since upgrading one of my PCs, and was wondering if I'd see much of a performance gain on library updates/cleans and what have you if I were to install xbmc on its own ssd, compared to the main drive of my server as it currently is?

I realise I'm not going to see anything amazing.
Yeah you will see a difference, on boot up and on library stuff, but the only way to tell is to just do it! If it's spare why not just whack a fresh install on it, copy over your userdata folder and see what its like? Smile
Quote:I realise I'm not going to see anything amazing.
Depends on your definition of amazing. Wink
Well, if load times, library updates/cleans were quicker I guess its good enough for me Smile.

@Jimbawb: Good idea - I'll give it a go later on this week. Can't hurt to try!
Library updates/cleans are virtually instant on my Crucial M4, as is loading XBMC in the first place. I've never ran it on a HDD to compare speed though!
Sounds good.

Just to double check, the only thing I need to move over is my Userdata folder, and the export of the Video/Music library I have, right? As I've quite heavily customised the Aeon Nox skin, and don't want to lose my changes!
I think my computer gets slow from time to time. when it's loading fanart etc im thinking. Would a ssd "fix" this? since it got bether accestime.
If it's the harddrive that's slowing things down, then sure, since an ssd is a couple hundred times faster at random read.
Just to give you an idea, I have two HTPCs in different rooms. One of them has a standard HDD, the other has a Sandisk SSD. The one with SSD (not joking) I could turn off completely while not in use and let it boot when I need to watch something. It takes about 10 seconds to BOOT from completely off, almost the same time it takes my Samsung LCD to light up and find it's HDMI input. Unfortunately I can't power it on from the remote so I have to put it to sleep only. But just to give you an idea... Smile
I agree - I run mine off an SSD and the load times are significantly quicker when compared to my old HDD (2.5" SATA - 5200RPM). All my data sits in the NAS so I still need to stream via GB Ethernet.

Does anyone know where all the album art? Fanart? Posters? etc are located? I would like to move them onto the SSD (if they are sitting on the NAS - Movie/TV Folders?).

Thanks,
Arnit.
It depends on what kind of art you are using. Most of the standard art files will be stored on the system drive, so you should be fine.
(2012-10-03, 02:04)ArsenalFC Wrote: [ -> ]I agree - I run mine off an SSD and the load times are significantly quicker when compared to my old HDD (2.5" SATA - 5200RPM). All my data sits in the NAS so I still need to stream via GB Ethernet.

Does anyone know where all the album art? Fanart? Posters? etc are located? I would like to move them onto the SSD (if they are sitting on the NAS - Movie/TV Folders?).

Thanks,
Arnit.
Exactly my thoughts, if you could keep all art, poster etc that does take time to load on a SSD it would give make the browsing smother.
I know that i got the fan-art banner etc for series in the series folder but movies and artist i have no idea im quiet new to this.
Can I move all fanart to SSD?
doesnt XBMC cache the art, whether saved locally or from online, to your appdata folder in your system drive?

C:Users\username\AppData\