Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sync multiple frontends - how are hardware differences managed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been reading the Wiki and am really excited about syncing my 3 XBMC (front-end) clients to use a common MySQL database and common NAS for media. I use Profiles (such as Adults, Kids, and Admin), on each XBMC install now. I plan for Profiles to become common as well.

My question is that I don't understand how to protect the machine-specific hardware configuration details that would be needed so that each front-end works correctly. Perhaps the more specific grey-area is whether I need to make any effort in this regard.

Is there any decision/action/config to do so that each machine's unique audio, video, etc. settings are protected and localized while adopting the common model for most everything else? Is it done automagically or otherwise outside of advancedsettings.xml?

example
XMBC1 connects via HDMI to LCD tv for 2-ch stereo
XMBC2 connects via SPDIF to receiver for 5.1 audio (on specific alsa device, I think)

Is there a tip or trick to make sure this one piece remains front-end specific while utilizing common MySQL, media, and Profiles?

TIA!
I think you would have to specify what you wanted shared between the computers (see later on in the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ts_of_XBMC)
Uh, perhaps a shorter question:

Is the hardware configuration for a specific xbmc front-end ALWAYS stored locally (kept unique per machine) even when using common database and common profiles?

Pretty sure as a lot of people sync stuff between different platforms and theirs seems to work fine.
All of the hardware settings and front end settings are stored locally. When you sync the database on SQL it will sync the movies and their info including where you stopped watching. The other thing you can share is the thumbnails. I recommend you don't try to sync the plugins and settings.
(2012-04-18, 02:01)GavinCampbell Wrote: [ -> ]I recommend you don't try to sync the plugins and settings.

I'll go that direction then. Anything further you might add on why not to sync those items?

Thanks all!
HOW-TO:Sync multiple libraries/Sync other parts of XBMC (wiki) contains the "safe" list of things to share. Haven't had a chance yet to go into detail on what to avoid and why. Hardware-specific settings are stored in guisettings.xml, for example, so you do not want to share that.