Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xs35gt with xbmcubuntu eden how is it working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
right now I have been using xbmc and plex on my xs35gt within windows, but the stuttering and all the other bugs have got me thinking I may try out the new ubuntu install. Does everything work out of the box? I remember with the old live I had to do some tweaks to get it all working and it just wasn't worth it for me.
I didnt have any problems, but I only ran it up for 15 minutes before I built a PVR version over the top. Had to fix xbmc autostart, but otherwise, seems to be working fine. It is possible, though I havent confirmed, that I have not got working VDPAU but I think that is due to it not being compiled in. Sorry I cant give you more definitive answer. I would give it a go!

On the topic of MC7 and the XS35GT V2, I was planning on building one up for my parents to replace a master slave PC/XB360 that is running terribly - can you reciprocate and advise if this is a good or bad idea?
I installed XBMCBuntu parallel to my XBMCLive Dharma installation, just in case to have a working fallback. And up to now, that was a good decission.

Unfortunately with XBMCBuntu I got a lot of stuttering even on SD content, frame drops on HD content and 100% cpu load (on one core) when idling. I also tried newer (newest) nvidia drivers but to no avail. On openelect.tv there ist a long XS35GT judder thread. According to this thread it turned out, that the ION chip will not work on full performance on this plattform in conjunction with the new nvidia driver. Maybe this could also be a bios problem...

The last known working nvidia driver (running on XBMCLive Dharma) can't be used with XBMCBuntu because of the newer kernel.

For me, it turned out, that XBMCBuntu Eden in combination with the XS35GT isn't a choice actually, because watching movies is a pain with all the stuttering...

Now I'm thinking about updating only the xbmc part of my old Live Dharma installation...

Cheers,
Zap

(2012-04-24, 09:33)zaphod42 Wrote: [ -> ]I installed XBMCBuntu parallel to my XBMCLive Dharma installation, just in case to have a working fallback. And up to now, that was a good decission.

Unfortunately with XBMCBuntu I got a lot of stuttering even on SD content, frame drops on HD content and 100% cpu load (on one core) when idling. I also tried newer (newest) nvidia drivers but to no avail. On openelect.tv there ist a long XS35GT judder thread. According to this thread it turned out, that the ION chip will not work on full performance on this plattform in conjunction with the new nvidia driver. Maybe this could also be a bios problem...

The last known working nvidia driver (running on XBMCLive Dharma) can't be used with XBMCBuntu because of the newer kernel.

For me, it turned out, that XBMCBuntu Eden in combination with the XS35GT isn't a choice actually, because watching movies is a pain with all the stuttering...

Now I'm thinking about updating only the xbmc part of my old Live Dharma installation...

Cheers,
Zap

That's odd, I had zero stutters when playing movies, just for the life of me cant get audio to work Sad

@jmcgee_jr, on the audio issue you might check my last post here

Audio is workinh and there is no stuttering at all - not audio, nor video. It might be a matter of the model - I have the XS35GT V2.

Cross fingers that you are getting audio to work too.
@Edgar: Allthough, I have a V1 XS35GT, I doubt it's a matter of the model, since XBMCLive Dharma runs like a charm on it. No stuttering nor any other problems. I also think, that it is not a problem of xbmc itself, but of the underlying newer Ubuntu in combination with XS35GT.

Regarding the judder take a look at the openelec forum

Interesting is, that I get stutter (or better: small jumps) on Eden but without framedrops when playing SD content (several DVD rips as mkv with h.264 video and AC3 audio). Btw. everything is streamed over wired gigabit network from a QNAP NAS Server.

Obviously, I should make some debug logs, to dig a little deeper into it. And I should try again with a clean install, since I tweaked a lot meanwhile...

Cheers,
Zap