Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC not displaying via component
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an old 60 inch Philips HDTV ready rear projection behemoth of a TV that has various composite inputs as well as one component input that displays in 1080i.

I hooked up my Apple TV 1 with a patchsticked XBMC via component and, while I can see the main Apple TV menu offerings, when I go into XBMC (Eden), I get a blank screen. Sound seems to work but no video.

Since I can't afford to get rid of the TV, I'd like to see if I can work my way around this problem, and was wondering if anyone could point to any ideas. Should I connect via HDMi using a HDMI to Component adapter, or will i just get the same result?

By the way, I experimented to see if it was a problem with my component inputs, and so I connected my Apple TV via composite (plugging the yellow plug into the green component port); I again got the same results as I did via component.

I'd really appreciate any input from anybody on this. If I am lacking any important information, please let me know.

Thanks
hi. sometimes I have this problem using an hdmi connetion. I solve it sometimes by turning the tv on before turning on the apple tv, or the reverse. I'd try changing the resolution on the apple tv too using the remote. see here

support.apple.com/kb/HT1551

good luck and post back yr results!
Hi again -- it looks like I solved my own problem.

I initially chose to go the HDMI to Component adapter route, bought an HDMI cord and decided to just buy a new component cable with the red and white stereo inputs (my other component cable was just video component, as they formerly used to connect to a DVD player with its own stereo system.

Before trying out this idea though, I decided to give one final try at directly connecting my Apple TV to the TV but, this time, with the new component cables I just purchased, and -- for a reason I can't fully explain -- it worked! XBMC came up in all its glory

Still perplexed as to why these worked while the others didn't; the original component cables worked fine connected to my DVD player right before I tried them on my Apple TV. But I have a working set up now, so I am happy.

Thanks for all the looks at my post everyone. And thanks especially, saddie, for offering some input; I did try changing the resolution on the Apple TV, but that didn't do anything. Plus, I wasn't having a problem seeing the Apple TV output as a whole as that support link suggests;I just could not see XBMC when I went to it. Maybe the cables I bought initially (they're from RCA) were some sort of low-grade quality?? I don't know...
Strange. I haven't tested XBMC v11 via component on the native ATV OS (Mac OS X 10.4), but I have done so via Crystalbuntu (wiki). Both should work. I've seen the ATV1 sought out specifically because of the component video support. I'll have to play with this later on.