Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HTPC, AVR, or Bigger Panny?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings list,

I'm wondering if someone might have a recommendation.

My watching habits are 10% TV and 90% 720p+ MKVs.

Which of these upgrades is the best candidate for a next investment?

• Media hub (ruled out XStreamer and considering Assassin running XBMC)
• Denon receiver
• Craigslisting the Panny to get 60 inch model (viewing distance usually 14 feet)

Current set-up:

• Panny P50ST50
• Crystalbuntu on ATV1
• Polk and HSU 5.1 audio
• Old as hell Yamaha RX-V2095 (still sounds great, but the motor that runs the volume knob needs a tap to make volume work by remote often enough to be annoying)
The general recommendation is that you shouldn't sit closer than 1.5x, and not farther than 2x the diagonal of the screen. At 14', you're in projector territory. I'd go with a 65" or 70" model should a projector not be feasible. I'm sitting at just under 12' with a 65" plasma.

As for a hub, I've been looking at this one for the bedroom. I'll be adding 2GB of RAM and a small SSD as all my files are on a server in the basement. Just out of curiosity, what ruled out XStreamer for you?
You got me thinking and so I did some redecorating and got it down to 9 feet. Just wow.

I may still consider the XStreamer Ultra 2. Partly is was a concern with their reputation for updates and such. Maybe if the reviews are good after its release.

Thanks for the tip!