Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HTPC set up suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Morning guys,

I built my htpc a while ago now, but I am yet to find my favourite os & xbmc combo.

Rig as follows:

Mobo: Asus AT5IONT-I
CPU : atom d525 ( on board)
Ram: 2gb (unsure of brand, going to add more)
Optical: LG Bluray
Storage: 250gb (os), 2 tb (media)

Peripherals: wireless keyboard & mouse, iPad with constellation as remote

Suggestions on best OS/set up combos for my rig?

Thanks
Ubuntu and Windows 7 both have nearly the same minimum system requirements.

Windows 7:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...quirements

Ubuntu:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal...quirements

Although it could probably be argued that Ubuntu would run better on less ram than windows. In any case I have never used the Linux version of XBMC, only windows.
I use both on my htpc... Linux is for xbmc for movies music etc... while windows is using xbmc with from collection browser for games. I have a main menu
item on my Linux xbmc which reboots into windows once, then when I exit windows xbmc it reboots back in to Linux.

I use xbmc on Linux because I feels its faster, has better quality video playback (although I believe that xbmc windows now has dxva deinterlacing) and has more of a set top box feel. Plus windows was kinda buggy with my system with these strange problems that I couldn't find solutions for and its more complicated to get that settop box feel. I use windows only because the range of emulators available is greater ( I love nullDC!).
Try OpenELEC running from a USB drive.
Same the problem which I was facing, so its my pleasure to have this thread. I really got mine desired information which I was searching for...
I got the idea from teeedubb's post in which he really expose the information very well...
I'm currently using openelec because of the simplicity and boot speed. The only drawback is no blu-ray support.

I think I may switch to Win7.