Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Current mac mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello

Is the current mac mini good enough for streaming 1080p content, without lag, and using heavy skins etc?

Thinking of picking one up
Yes.
I second that. I got that mac mini and even the basic model (I haven't even upped the RAM yet) is enough.
Thanks guys, was thinking of doing a build, but the mac mini is so sexy anyways, going to pick one up tomorrow, and use a apple remote, and see if it is enough Smile thanks again
I would highly recommend going for a Harmony remote. They are a tad more expensive, but controlling everything with just one remote is well worth it. Plus Activities are great. Just one button press and voila, everything you need is up and running (including XBMC if you turned it off).
I havnt gotten around to see what harmony is all about, but all i talk to say its great, hm. Can the harmony wake the mac mini from sleep?

If im in windows/osx can it start xbmc? (launch application)

Just dont know if i need since i really dont got much hardware
Well, looking at your profile you do. At least a TV, audio and a receiver. It can wake mac up... Well, it does wake up mine.
Have a glance at Harmony. If 4 devices is enough for you to control have a look at Harmony 300. It's a basic model thus just a tenner more than Apple remote.
This may sound dumb, but hey, got to ask.

Lets say im watching TV right.

Mac mini is powered on, and its connected to a reciever on hdmi in 2.

Does activitites do the following (example watch a movie) - i dunnow if u can custom name this, like start xbmc or something.

- Change hdmi input on reciever to hdmi in 2, and power it on if its off.
- Change hdmi input on TV to the one that comes from the reciever.
Sure, no problem and you can name all activities. My Harmony is set up to "Watch TV", "Play XBMC", "Watch DVD" etc. When I switch it powers everything on that wasn't on yet and is needed and switches everything off that isn't needed. It works like a dream. And yes, starting XBMC also wakes the Mini.
oh, thanks mate, going to see if they have a harmony remote tomorrow, you convinced me. Which is bad and good, since i just bought a new tv, and im going bankrupt :p

last question (i will pm you tomorrow if i run into problems)

Is it easy to configure the remote with xbmc, use plex settings or something? Please tell how you configured to work 100% with xbmc
oh lol i forgot i have an ipad. maybe i dont need the logitech remote. oh the decisions ./
Hi,
It is easy. Very easy in fact.
There's just one trick with Harmony and XBMC. The thing is that XBMC only accepts power off commend from the main window. What I did I added additional sequence to Harmony "On leave action" to Watch XBMC activity.
1. Send Exit command to XBMC
2. Send 500ms delay
3. Send PowerToggle command to XBMC

After that when I press All off button on Harmony it turns off TV, audio system and XBMC.

Another trick is to make sure XBMC is powered on last. So when it comes on your TV is already running. It very simple, you just tell Harmony which order you want devices powered on in. And I also added 1 second wait before XBMC power on.
In Harmony mapping F12 is Subtitles on/off, F13 Next subtitle and F14 next audio stream.
Anyway, if you need help you can pm or just open a thread.

I've got an iPad too Smile And I use both, Harmony and XBMC Constellation. When you are all slouched on a sofa last thing you need is going through menues on your iPad. It's distracting. Smile
I've got my Harmony for 3 years already. I had WD TV, Tvix N1, custom HTPC for a media center. And now a mac mini. And I just went into configuration console and changed the activity and added/removed devices.
Anyways, have a look at your options. By the end of the day - it's your setup and your wallet Smile
Thanks for the post over me. Now i understand more. And i have been convinced.

Going to pick up the mac mini and harmony one after work.

One last question regarding the mini. Do you guys re ommend installing w7 on it. I have read osx have some issues also w7 got hd audio etc
Isn't Harmony One a bit of an overkill? Smile If you want fancy features you can look at Harmony 650. If you need to control more than 5 devices - ok. Else - no point.
Don't ask me, I'm an appleboy Smile Got 3 macs at home and don't plan ever going back to Windows.
Using Windows at work, got Linux and BSD servers in our DC, but at home all I use is Apple and praise the day I decided to switch.
Besides, if you want to use Windows it's better to have a custom built HTPC. Mac mini only makes sense if you plan to use it with OS X.
maybe the harmony one is a bit much, but where im going to pick up my mac mini today only had the harmony one in store, but it was also 20% off, so it was the same price as the harmony 700
Pages: 1 2