Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Sync XBMC database to remote database?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I saw in the advanced settings wiki that XBMC can sync its video database to remote MySQL databases on other computers. I don't have much experience with XBMC and I was wondering if it may be possible to get XMBC to export a copy of its database contents into a MySQL database on a remote computer using the settings in the advancedsettings.xml?

Would this work or does this xml page tell XBMC where to look for the videodatabase instead?
(2012-04-26, 22:46)greenyouse Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I saw in the advanced settings wiki that XBMC can sync its video database to remote MySQL databases on other computers. I don't have much experience with XBMC and I was wondering if it may be possible to get XMBC to export a copy of its database contents into a MySQL database on a remote computer using the settings in the advancedsettings.xml?

Would this work or does this xml page tell XBMC where to look for the videodatabase instead?

If you grant access for the user xbmc connects as on the mysql server (it needs to be high enough permission to create databases), then xbmc will create the database and all the tables necessary to hold the media info according to the schema it uses when it connects the first time. If you have a pre-existing local database, you export it as a file (check in the settings sub-menu), restart xbmc with the mysql settings enabled and then re-import from this previously exported file. This will fill the new mysql database with all the info from your old, local sqlite one.

Sounds like you don't really have a much of a library in xbmc since you intimate you are relatively new to the program.... it's probably easier just to set up mysql sharing through the advanced settings on one client, scan in your media the normal way and then set up each subsequent client in turn. You need to either use a network path to your media share that is identical for all clients or use path substitution. If you want to be really jazzy you can share the Thumbnails subfolder between all clients from the same server you are running mysql on. One ring to rule them all......
Nod Ok, I think I get it. I'm working on an OS X add-on and I needed to figure out how that worked. Thanks for the help!